Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dog Food Containers

Mr. Smarty Pants aka Look Mom I Am Such A Wonderful Problem Solver! aka Linus has figured out how to open the dog food bin. Apparently duct tape is not effective when the container is pushed onto the ground. Duct tape was used when he was simply opening the lid. My only option for location is my utility room and the door needs to remain open so they can all drink water and the cat can get to her litter box. I am in and out of that room all the time as it is also the path to the back door. Ironically I have seen no signs of breaking and entering the food container when I am not home so crating is pointless. I just need a better container. One that absolutely requires opposable thumbs.

What at do you use that is smart dog proof, compact and holds at least 30 lbs of kibble?

I use a Vittles brand bin. Rodent proof (we used to keep it in the garage) and needs thumbs to open.
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (09-02-2016), Labradorks (09-02-2016)

We've had the Buddeez 80-quart roll-away pet food dispenser for three years now, and I highly recommend it. (It's on Amazon, didn't know if I could link.) The shape is compact, the wheels are convenient, the scoop fits right in the lid. Archie definitely couldn't open it, but it's entirely possible that Linus is smarter!

Vittle Vaults! Ant proof, rodent proof, dog proof, everything proof. I have 1 for each dog, 1 for the inside cat, 1 for the outside cat, and a couple at the farm for grain, rice bran, beet pulp, etc. Amazing.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (09-06-2016)

Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Senior Dog
    Raccoons can chew through Vittle Vaults...but it doesn't sound as if that's a concern for you.

I have two of these: https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Airtight...food+container The smaller one fits nicely in the pantry and can be rolled out when necessary (sweeping out the pantry). The top snaps shut with the latch and it is air tight. The larger of the bins is in the basement holding the rest of a big bag of Fromm in it's original bag. Top is hinged but can come completely off for a good washing.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Raccoons can chew through Vittle Vaults...but it doesn't sound as if that's a concern for you.
    OMG I hope not!!!

Thank you, everyone. Just bought the Vittles Vault stackables from Amazon. Two 40 lbers; one for dog and one for cat food. Thank goodness for Amazon Prime and two-day shipping. I'll receive them on Sunday, just in time for a new bag of dog food.

If the dog manages to get the top off of this one, I think he'll be eligible to run for president. (That is a joke, no matter which side you're on!)

Senior Dog
    Glad you found something that will work. I leave my bags sitting open in the mud room. The dogs never touch them. M will leave food in her bowl and run and bring a mouthful in to the TV room and eat one kibble at a time. I have often thought I should get something to put the kibble in as the bags can be unsightly.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos