Travelling to Canada with a dog

Any US people travel to Canada with their lab? Or vice versa? Jake and I are starting to throw ideas around about what to do for our mini-moon. This will be right after our wedding, a few days, maybe a week to unwind. We are planning on bringing Bacon with us! We are hoping to do some hunting up in Canada as well, along with sightseeing. So, 2 things.

1. What is the process of bringing a dog into Canada? What papers do I need? What about bringing him back to the US?

2. Any suggestions for locations to visit? Hopefully not a huge drive from MN.

On a side note, any of you hunted in Canada, and brought your hunting guns with you? I have started to look into that as well, but there is quite the font of knowledge here!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Canada government has everything you need to know.
    Dogs
    Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Dog food and treats
    Import Policies - Pet Food - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Being and adult he will be required to have all inspections and vaccinations.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (09-06-2016)

I drove through Canada to get to RI and it was really easy. I actually got all the paperwork together for Charlie and they didn't even ask for it.

Have fun!! Hope all things wedding are smooth sailing!
    Charlie and Burton

House Broken
    We've taken our lab into Quebec for vacations several times. Just get a current printout from your vet showing all vaccinations are up to date. I think rabies is the only one they want to see. In maybe 5-6 times across the border with Charlie, I think once on the way back to the U.S. we were asked for the paperwork. It's really no big deal at all.

Guns are going to be a different story.

Friends of mine took their honeymoon in Canada with their dog. I don't know anything about the process of crossing the border, but I do know that they hiked in a bunch of Canadian national parks with Tally and that was surprising to me. Apparently the national parks there are more friendly to dogs, so don't automatically skip them if you have the chance!
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

Just have all the vaccine paperwork with you, for rabies vaccine paperwork in particular. They didn't even check our paperwork when driving. When flying they do check the paperwork though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fidgetyknees For This Useful Post:

Georgia (09-06-2016)

we have my main clients' dog with us every time they fly. the owner keeps 2 copies of his vaccination certificate with all of the their human passports - one to hang on to for the way back into Canada, and one for the US Customs officer if they want to keep a copy-most of the time they don't. We set up the Customs going both ways, and I always mention that Jessie is along, and the question i always get is "does he have his rabies vaccination certificate".

One of our training folks goes hunting to the US all the time, and he has a list of the guns that he takes across the border and brings back from Canada Customs, i believe its so he doesn't get charged duty etc on guns he already owns. He always says its easier taking them into the US than it is bringing them back home to Canada.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Echo what others have said. Be certain to have a copy of vaccination proofs - have been asked if I have them, yet not asked to present them. For my own peace of mind I (sort of) had proof of ownership; remember Achilles and Stella were adopted. My proof? A photo of each one with me in the photo, and a copy of an older vaccination record with their name. Maybe not conclusive proof yet almost certainly more evidence of ownership then I would be asked for.

A border crossing suggestion. Use a less travelled crossing. While being unfamiliar with what crossings exist between MN and Canada I find that the process at less busy crossings between MI and Ontario is less stressful. It's a little more relaxed and informal, the CBSA and the CBP people are less suspicious and likely more pleasant.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos