Thread: training

Puppy

training

we are actually doing pretty good but i wanted to get ideas to make sure we continue to succeed at dont hit a no progress stage. right now harry goes outside every hour to two at most ( if hes asleep, i let him sleep) he eats on a set schedule three times a day as well as i had to stop keeping his bowl full and letting him have full access of water to it because he was drinking so much that he went from not wetting his crate to wetting it as well as he even peed when i picked him up once. so i now fill it half way , about 1/3 cup of water and he will drink it and i give it to him at meals and let him drink when he comes in fro going potty outside. hes not had crate accidents since.he has also not had one pooey accident in home either.i watch him like a hawk and i am able to stay home with him so hes never left alone. if i sower or need to do something i will put him in his crate to lay down and hes so good. but most the time hes laying with me or playing with me. so the reason for the post is since hes now starting to grow like a weed hes also getting very vocal and bossy. any tips on how to train him before he gets to big and he loves to nip play and yell at us while playing. i dont mind but i live with older parents and i dont want harry to hurt them when hes bigger.

I would be careful about limiting water but that is just me I have never put a limit on water for mine unless there is a medical reason, check with your vet too. I would start with the no bite command when ever his teeth touch skin and give Harry a toy instead. Am guessing Harry is young and depending on his age he will start to loose his puppy teeth, just like with skin babies teething hurts and he will likely chew more to relieve pain and pressure of new teeth coming in. This is also a good time to start with basic training like sit, watch and no bite. My Sarah was and still is a chatty girl
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

I don't like to limit water either. I've read if you do it can actually set up gorging on water when it is available. Not being able to pee because of limited intake is not the same thing as developing bladder control and learning to pee outside. They nearly all have a mistake now and then, even when one year old, I think it's best to accept that the odd accident may happen.

CAn your parents be involved in Harry's training? If you all live together that would be ideal. Are you taking him to puppy classes? He'll expel some energy there, and you will learn tips on how to teach him all sorts of things. Ask your Vet who provides safe classes, vaccination wise, for puppies in your area.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I know there are some folks here who do restrict water, and I can't say it's good, bad or indifferent. I have done/do allow water for the puppies when crated. It's my personal choice to do so, knowing I'll have to get up a few extra times at night for a couple weeks. I also give water when I go to work, but I'm only gone about 5 hours.

I never had an accident in the crate with Sophie. I had a couple with Bruce the first two weeks. Brooks had one the first week he was here. He's almost 18 weeks old, and is now sleeping through the night.

As to the getting older issue, I'd highly recommend a training class, it will pay for itself in reduced aggravation in the long run. Brooks is a very high drive dog, and he can be a bit of a handful at times, we started class three weeks ago, and it's really helped me help him.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos