Senior Dog

Kimber pooped in the house

And there's a bit of a mystery!

Yesterday was hellishly long for both DH and me; he worked 12 hours, and I didn't get home until 8:30 pm. Consequently, Kimber didn't get her usual evening walk. And I was so tired, I didn't force her potty before bedtime like I usually do. (She usually resists initially.) This morning was the usual routine: I got up, she jumped off the bed, we headed to the kitchen. I got her breakfast together and met her at the door, and outside we both went. She ate, peed, pooped, and then we went back inside. As always, I opened the door and got her in first, and then closed the door behind us. Kimber trotted off to the sun room, and I went back to the kitchen to put away her food dish. After that, I went to join Kimber in the sun room and happened to glance towards the door. Was that... yes, indeed, there were three small turds near the front door.

The mystery: I am SURE Kimber did not go back to the door after we entered the house. So did she poop while she was waiting for me to get her breakfast? Evidence: The poop was firm, indicating it was the beginning of the poop cycle. But: Did I really NOT SEE the poop as we were exiting.

OR: Did she poop right after we entered the house? Evidence: I didn't see any poop earlier. But: Wouldn't I have noticed it when we came back in the house?

Hmmm....

I'm not panicking because there were extenuating circumstances, but still, I'm sad. She hasn't pooped in the house since she was 9 weeks old. Just another sign of her back end weakening.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Over the years we've witnessed some mystery poops from various dogs, once in an upstairs guest bedroom. That from a dog who normally did not go upstairs at all. It doesn't necessarily signal a problem, or it hasn't for us. It is sad to wonder what prompted the action, though. I'm always ready to blame it on something I've done or didn't do, like let them out enough or I missed their signals.

So where this was, had you already passed that area going in and out? It wasn't someplace she might have gone yesterday or overnight, from less pooping opportunity than usual yesterday?
    Last edited by smartrock; 09-08-2016 at 10:31 AM.

I have experienced that with Dakota on a few occasions and she honestly didn't even realize I don't think. It has happened when she's had extra fiber (more so than her food which is high fiber) and it just kind of fell out in the kitchen while I was putting away stuff after feeding them and waiting for one of them to finish licking their bowls. I am going to go with-it happened on the way out and you just didn't notice.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    So where this was, had you already passed that area going in and out? It wasn't someplace she might have gone yesterday or overnight, from less pooping opportunity than usual yesterday?
    It was a little trail, leading either to or from the front door. The farthest nugget was maybe 2 feet from the door,the closest 6 inches. It definitely wasn't there at bedtime. At night, she sleeps on the bed with us and she can't get up there by herself; since she was still on the bed this morning, it's safe to assume she didn't move.

So yeah, I'm thinking it happened before I took her out. She was so focused on getting breakfast she probably didn't even notice her droppings.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by kimbersmom View Post
    She was so focused on getting breakfast she probably didn't even notice her droppings.
    --exactly what happens to Dakota from time to time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MontananDakota For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (09-08-2016)

Hope it was a one-off due to the change in her routine.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

aww did she seem at all "off" (i don't want to say guilty but sometime they "seem" guilty" when they do stuff like that)

I had a poop incident with Rocky about a month ago. We use the help 'em up harness to get in and out of cars. I was getting a ride with friends to meet up with a larger group of friends for a doggy play date. Hoisted Rocky in the car (backseat) and ... wait... rocky...what's going on there? Yep, some poop came out! He hadn't pooped that morning and I guess the exitement and the use of the harness to hoist him up just sorta...pushed it out :P Other than diarhea he has never had an accident either. He looked so guilty! Poor guy. Luckily it was easy to clean up adn he didn't, thank god, sit in it trying to turn around to get back out :P I use the harness regularly so it wasn't the harness per say but maybe since he hadn't pooped it was just...closer to the butt hole and the harness pushed it out :P

ok bumping this up - just had another incident this weekend. This past weekend we did a road trip to Newfstock (a big event/fundraiser/fun day for Newfoundlanders put on by the newf rescue). It was a long day but Rocky was in good shape for all of it. We didn't move long distance and I ensured to let him rest (we were there from 10am until past 5pm). He got tons of random treats (including a hamburger :P ). He did not poop before going to bed (we did walk him around in the evening but he didn't go). I didn't cut back his dinner to take into consideration all the extra food.

Anyway Sunday morning I woke up and there was a bit of poop on his bed (small piece). Went to pee and change to take him out and when I got out he'd pooped pieces here and there. Luckily all super easy to clean up (we were in a hotel room!) but - an odd incident. Funny enough the same friend from the above incident was there for this one - I told her his poop incidents always involve her haha!

Curious if it's potentially a little bit of incontinence (in this sorta situation - too much food, sleept very hard - but he was awake to poop). I'm super careful with the harness which I assumed caused the first one but there was nothing like that here. He's skipped evening poops before and had no issues. we were not up any later than usual.

It aint easy getting old :P

May have been the extra food and strange place (hotel).
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

Tanya (09-21-2016)

Puppy
    We have seen a couple of times similar behaviour with Jenica when her routine was mixed up. Also, I have now learned that in the morning we get her downstairs, she has breakfast and right after that she will need to go out. Same in the evening, I come in, feed them and out we go. It seems that when she starts moving after a long rest she may have to go rather soon and can then not always control it well enough.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos