Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotcha Day!

Gotcha Day!

Three years ago today, I took the day off of work and drove down to pick up my new puppy.

I knew the breeder and she knew me, and I knew the litter was a good one with all of the good things going on that we look for when getting a new Lab puppy from a reputable breeder. However, I didn't really want a yellow dog and all the boys in this litter were yellow. Also, the evaluator said a lot of unflattering things about my puppy's temperament, things that did end up being a tiny bit true (maybe 5%), but certainly not to the level that she said they would be.

The days leading up to picking him up, I wasn't feeling confident with my decision to get this yellow pup. I do get analysis paralysis and I can be an over-thinker, but I've also learned over time to trust my gut. I felt conflicted. But, in the end, I decided to go through with it because I didn't have a concrete reason not to, other than nervous about change, and frankly I didn't want to back out on my commitment. This dog wasn't meant to be a performance dog, but a pet for me and a pal for Sam, who was just about to lose his older brother.

Three years later, I know I was right about one thing... YELLOW LAB HAIR IS THE WORST! Otherwise, I was wrong and the evaluator was mostly wrong (about his temperament). He's not aloof in the least bit, he's definitely not shy and he's never had traveler's diarrhea. He is 125% biddable which creates some handler sensitivity, but we've learned how to deal with that and make it work in our favor, otherwise, he has no issues with the environment or crowds or noise or any of that stuff. I have met over half of his littermates as well as his parents and he's definitely the most gregarious and extroverted of the bunch!

But, more importantly, Linus is the busiest, funniest, smartest, most biddable, most demanding, most workaholic, most focused Lab I've ever had and he has taught me so much about training and behavior and brought me into new sports (field work but also barn hunt and nosework though we're not pursuing those right now) and finally pushed me further into sports I've been dabbling in for years and years (obedience and agility). I've met so many new and wonderful people because of him and made many good friends. He's such a terrific partner. One minute he can be working and focused, driving for a bird or working in the ring, and the next minute we can be sitting in the grass together playing and cuddling, yes, even with gun shots and live flyers coming down. He is the perfect mix of performance and pet, driven and mellow. He's a true partner who cares about what I want. If dogs can be thoughtful or unselfish, his working personality defines this. There is also something about him that is different. He's caring, if that makes sense, and sensitive. Can dogs be intuitive?

To know him is to love him and he creates laughter and smiles everywhere we go. I can't imagine life without my little nugget!

-pup8-jpg
    Super tired after his first day home. Big brother is so happy to have a pal!

-pup9-jpg
    First pool party!

-pup3-jpg
    First swimmies (on brother's back)!

-pup10-jpg
    First holiday party!

-pup6-jpg
    First raw bone and being harassed by his "sisters" for a taste!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

barry581 (09-11-2016), Blackboy98 (09-11-2016), Charlotte K. (09-11-2016), Jollymolly (09-12-2016), kimbersmom (09-11-2016), labsnewfy (09-12-2016), MightyThor (09-12-2016), Piper'sMom (09-11-2016), POPTOP (09-11-2016), Scoutpout (09-11-2016), ZEKESMAN (09-12-2016)

Oh my gosh the first holiday party photo has me swooning. Happy Gotcha Day Linus!!!
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Happy Gotcha Day Linus!!!!!!!!!! It seems you made an impression on someone who loves you very much.

Hope you got extra treats or maybe a little ice cream and cake!!!! Gotcha Days are very, very special. The world changes on that day-definitely for the better.
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

Happy Gotcha Day big boy!!!!

Senior Dog
    That pool picture is so cute! Happy Gotcha Day, Linus!
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Happy Gotcha Day Linus!

You've grown up to be such a handsome man.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Happy gotcha day! love love love the 1st swim picture! reminds me of loons, babies hitching rides on parents, so cute!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

Happy Gotcha Day Linus!

We celebrated today with a knuckle bone, a fun training session where he got to do the tunnel every 10 seconds and then a pool party at his girlfriend's house (the cute Malanois in the pink collar)!

-pool-party-jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

labsnewfy (09-12-2016)

Happy Gotcha Day Linus! He is such a handsome young man. Looks like they all enjoyed his birthday pool part and his girlfriend is beautiful!
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos