Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Neoprene float vests for dogs - do you use them?

This weekend, Boomer graduated to off-leash fetch at the dog beach.

The water will stay warm into October but I'd like him to do water retrieves throughout winter. Better for his aging joints (he's a young 9), none of the risk of land fetch with all the abrupt turns in wet grass/mud (winters here are mostly wet-cold), and Boomer's so naturally happy and relaxed at the beach, it makes me happy too.

I've never had a retrieving, water dog before so I want to be sure I don't let him overdo things.

I'm thinking of getting him a Cabela 5mm neoprene float vest to keep his core warm in and out of the water. I've worn a 5mm wetsuit in that water in winter so I assume it'll work for Boomer too. The float part is in case I misjudge how he's doing, that he goes out strong but lags coming back in. Like skiing, I'm going to try to stop while he looks like he can go out for one more "run".

Has anyone ever used one of these vests before? If so, I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice in general.
    Last edited by Java; 09-18-2016 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Changed title to be more accurate about what I was asking.

Senior Dog
    I've been trolling Amazon and so my first thought was their reviews.

Maybe check these out: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...gs%2Caps%2C133

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Java (09-18-2016)

I forgot to check Amazon reviews, thanks! Only three reviews at Cabela's website but all positive. Been reading discussions at hunting forums too. I guess I'm wondering if anyone uses these vests for regular fetch from water in winter or am I being over the top? Yea or nay?

Boomer has a Ruffwear K9 float coat (see avatar) that's fantastic for paddle boarding. He tends to jump off the board even if he's tired. It's hard to stop him. So I've seen him swim tired. Now that he's good at the dog beach, I'm temporarily retiring him from paddle boarding until he really slows down enough to not jump off the board for every twig or leaf that floats nearby.

The float coat doesn't have any warming properties which is why I ask.

Senior Dog
    Avery 5mm Boater's Hunting Dog Parka

Effectiveness of neoprene vests on dogs?

OK. This first link is to a vest that someone in the second link (forum) mentioned. These are folks who have investigated/use neoprene vests. I used to be good friends with a guy who hunted and remember his dogs (Labs) wearing some kind of vest...I guess that's the basis for my interest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Java (09-18-2016)

No experience with these vests. My first thought though was to monitor cold water exposure because of cold tail. It's not life threatening but from what I've heard, very painful for the dog.

Maybe others could chime in on this issue.

As far as right now with the water still on the warmer side, that would not be a problem.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Java (09-24-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Oops, made you google what I should've done.

Looks like the points are mostly in favour of.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    I checked the reviews at Amazon. Just like for people, fit is key otherwise the neoprene won't work the way it's supposed to. Also looks like hunters use the vests for their dogs but pet lab people don't. I'll probably get one anyways because now I'm curious.

I guess the camo design will make Boomer look like he retrieves birds but we'll all know the truth.

Senior Dog
    I think a lot depends on whether the dog has the correct double coat (some field and/or pet bred dogs really don’t). All of mine have had good coats and have swum all winter as long as the lake wasn’t actually frozen up until about age 14. I wouldn’t just bring a dog who hadn’t been conditioned to it out in the middle of winter, but mine have always acclimated as the weather/water gradually got colder. I don’t push them - if they want to go in and aren’t shivering, they get to. If they show any reluctance or seem to be shivering from anything but excitement, they are done. I remember one time with Chloe a few years ago, it was about 10 degrees out, but it had been a sudden drop so the lake hadn’t yet frozen. She went in for a dip and as soon as she got out the water on the tips of her fur froze so she was covered in little icicles. I felt down into her skin, but it was dry and warm - her coat did it’s job and wicked the water away from her skin ... and she was happy as a clam.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

barry581 (09-18-2016), Java (09-24-2016), Scoutpout (09-19-2016)

Aye Mates,

TEAM TRAD is an advocate for neoprene vests for retaining core body heat and enhanced bouyancey. It is still advisable to towel drive betwixt retrieves to minimize evaporative heat loss. TRAD made 12 trips into frigid water during this hunt and I was glad he had the vest on. A co-benefit it that it does break up the dog's visible profile when he / she is in vegetation.

Cheers,
    THE DOG WHISTLER
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

Java (09-24-2016), Scoutpout (09-19-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    No experience with these vests. My first thought though was to monitor cold water exposure because of cold tail. It's not life threatening but from what I've heard, very painful for the dog.
    Sounds like the same thing as swimmer's tail my vet warned me about. Will keep an eye out for signs, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Annette47 View Post
    I think a lot depends on whether the dog has the correct double coat (some field and/or pet bred dogs really don’t)... I wouldn’t just bring a dog who hadn’t been conditioned to it out in the middle of winter, but mine have always acclimated as the weather/water gradually got colder. I don’t push them - if they want to go in and aren’t shivering, they get to. If they show any reluctance or seem to be shivering from anything but excitement, they are done.
    Check coat, got it. Boomer's an indoor dog. He sheds regularly but hasn't had coat blowouts I've read about. Looked at his coat but have to say, I'm not sure what a good double coat looks or feels like. Might pop in to the vet's for his "hey, look, the vet's office is awesome" visit and ask them to check for me.

Quote Originally Posted by IRISHWISTLER View Post
    Aye Mates,

TEAM TRAD is an advocate for neoprene vests for retaining core body heat and enhanced bouyancey. It is still advisable to towel drive betwixt retrieves to minimize evaporative heat loss. TRAD made 12 trips into frigid water during this hunt and I was glad he had the vest on. A co-benefit it that it does break up the dog's visible profile when he / she is in vegetation.
    Trad looks like the pro he is.

If it's pouring rain, will towel Boomer off at the car (a short walk away) but will keep the outing short. Will take my cue from Boomer too. He won't be doing the demanding retrieves that Trad does.

Thanks, everyone! Sorry I was slow replying. The week got busier than normal on me.

Best Friend Retriever
    O.K.. I'm not going to look into what they're made of but I have a Ruffwear K-9 float coat and yes it works, if I was going to doing any boating away from the shoreline I'd consider it a must-have.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos