Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Giving a presentation on Obedience tomorrow for our breed club - need ideas

This is supposed to be geared towards people unfamiliar with the Sport who might want to get into it. Anything you would particularly like to see/hear at something like this? I have an idea of what I'm planning, but would love to hear any ideas that anyone might have.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (06-19-2014)

I was urged to trial with Jet but found it stiff, formal and not really any fun for me or the dog. Since then, with Oban, I've had a trainer who emphasizes fun for the dog in all her methods, family pet training or formal obedience competition. So I think a demonstration of the fun techniques used to teach the dog and showing how it can be a bonding experience would be nice. Sure would have encouraged me more years ago.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-16-2014)

I agree with Snowshoe. If I were to see a demonstration I would want to see how fun it is for me and Mocha and how it could bring me more in tune with him. Let us know how it goes. If you video it, please post. I'd love to see it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-16-2014)

I plan to see you there! I think that the fun part of CGC training might be a start. Also, part of your audience is conformation people, used to using bait one way. A stand stay, a turn with a lure, these are close to what they know. They can't always do an "agility" tug session to rev a dog, as they might not be able to control the dog after if a big guy is too up. However, it could be a start for a pup who does not have a sore mouth (isn't actively teething and dropping teeth). Now that Canine Good Citizen and Community Canine (CGCA) are titles, they can be a start of obedience skills for some conformation people, although rally is easier for the dog to learn (but harder for us people!).

Also, rally can be fun because you can use some of the happy, silly talk you might use with a low key Lab in training. Or the quiet talk I had to use with my girl Kira, as I didn't want her boinging over the top and getting too happy to think and stay in position. I realize that your co-presenter is not into rally, but I like that it isn't so stiff and quiet as obedience. Then again, I was one of the first people to practice stays with food and toys, back in the dark ages a quarter century ago!

Doggy push ups and "cookie in the kitchen" for a faster drop on recall can be fun games with an older pup or an adult. So can tricks and spins, finishes if one isn't too fussy with perfect position at first, etc. Those are the kinds of things to train with lure and no leash in the kitchen before the dog eats or when the world outside is too hot or too icy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-16-2014)

Fun! I like all the suggestions, including starting with rally. I would also remind everyone that they can start with Beginner Novice Obedience. You can talk about the special rules for this level. For example, you can talk to and encourage your dog a certain number of times during many of the exercises, and in some, you can ask for the exercise twice without NQing. You can also use hand signals as well as vocal commands. Depending on your audience, if you can show them some videos or real demonstrations with positive handling and how much the dog loves it, that would be fun, too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-16-2014), Charlotte K. (06-17-2014)

Senior Dog
    Charlotte - we may draft you to speak as well, since I've only rarely done rally and never a CGC, LOL!

If this talk is for non-obedience types, I would definitely steer folks toward CGCs and Rally. Being able to talk to your dog during competition makes Rally less intimidating.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-17-2014), Charlotte K. (06-17-2014)

Here's a brief update. Annette and Chloe, Jody and Bridgette, helped pull in a standing room only crowd--we had to send for extra chairs! They impressed everyone with the communication between handlers and dogs, with great, focused attention from the dogs.

Folks were interested in training more, inspired by the demonstration to add more titles to their dogs names, including the optional (no group stays!) titling classes. Good job showing off the Lab and more of the breed's abilities!
    Last edited by Charlotte K.; 06-18-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: no GROUP stays

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-18-2014), charliebbarkin (06-19-2014), dxboon (06-18-2014), emma_Dad (06-18-2014), Labradorks (06-18-2014), Snowshoe (06-18-2014), ZRabbits (06-19-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte K. View Post
    Here's a brief update. Annette and Chloe, Jody and Bridgette, helped pull in a standing room only crowd--we had to send for extra chairs! They impressed everyone with the communication between handlers and dogs, with great, focused attention from the dogs.

Folks were interested in training more, inspired by the demonstration to add more titles to their dogs names, including the optional (no stays!) titling classes. Good job showing off the Lab and more of the breed's abilities!
    That's great! I love to see dogs with titles on both ends. I think at the lower levels (RN, for instance), really anyone can title with a small amount of effort. And unlike the conformation ring, it's not subjective; if you complete the stations correctly, you get your leg/title. I am always impressed by the breeder/exhibitors in my club who put conformation, obedience, CGCs, and hunt test titles on their dogs. It shows a commitment at a basic level to promoting good form, temperament, trainability, and preservation of hunting instinct.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (06-18-2014)

Senior Dog
    Congratulations on a very successful presentation.

KAZ

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (06-19-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos