won't walk on hardwood

I'm babysitting my sister's yellow. She will not walk on hard floors at her home. My sister puts a runner down for the princess but she only has a kitchen with hardwood. My house is open concept and I have tile and hardwood. I put a few rugs down on day one but I don't have enough to 'make a path'. Today is her second day here and while clearly reluctant, she will walk without a runner/rug. I removed a few this morning and she is fine. We spoil her rotten, just like Macy, but this seems excessive. Any tips on this? Lucy(our yellow guest) is a quirky girl.

Chase can be weird on hardwood or uncarpeted floors. He's almost 10 and I think he's afraid of slipping. His back legs did kind of go out from under him in a split just the other day, so I can understand his hesitancy. He comes in for meals with no problem but crossing to the back door can be tricky. When Lark was young she had some limping so I pretty much put rugs and runners everywhere except the kitchen to decrease the chance of her slipping. My kids have made some snarky comments about all the rugs but hey, they don't live here and Chase does, so if I want throw rugs, I have throw rugs. Plus, it does protect these 60 year old hardwood floors. Lark doesn't care whether there's a rug or not but Chase is clearly more comfortable on rugs or carpeting. Getting him to run across the kitchen to the back door can sometimes take a little time or he runs across like he's crossing hot coals. I don't force him but I also don't really make a big deal when he does run across. I just try to make it a non-event.

I figure I have a few quirks so he can, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Macy (09-27-2016)

Sophie won't poop in our back yard. Now that's a quirk. I wish it was as easy as not walking on hardwood!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Macy (09-27-2016), Scoutpout (09-28-2016)

Senior Dog
    I've had dogs with/develop shaky hind legs...slip out from under them...and have rubber-backed mats on all of my tile floors. Considering that my present two race in circles around the first floor of the house, that has proven to be a really good idea.

I've had rubber backed runners all over the house for years with the seniors. Even though he has no problems, Archie much prefers the runners than the slippery floor so they are staying down. He has wiped out a couple of times on non-rug floors.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Sophie won't poop in our back yard. Now that's a quirk. I wish it was as easy as not walking on hardwood!!!
    Ram as well, unless he really, really has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    I've had rubber backed runners all over the house for years with the seniors. Even though he has no problems, Archie much prefers the runners than the slippery floor so they are staying down. He has wiped out a couple of times on non-rug floors.
    We're at that stage too.
    Last edited by Sue-Ram; 09-28-2016 at 01:29 PM.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue-Ram View Post
    We're at the that stage too.
    I recommend Water Hog mats (they'll stain your tile, though). You can get them in larger sizes as well as custom made.

I can't remember is this is the site where I got mine, but it'll give you the idea: Entryway Mats - Free Shipping

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Sue-Ram (09-28-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos