Force Fetch Fears

Aye Mates,

It seems that there are many folks that are fearful of the concept of "FORCE FETCH" also known as the conditioned retrieve. Much of that fear comes from lack of knowledge specific to the process, or from having "trainers" that are less than well versed on the matter work with their dog(s).

I have me own approach and start by a gradual introduction to the training table and other associated equipment, a familiarization process that has the K9 at ease when it comes time to get to the actual matter of HOLD and subsequently to FORCE FETCH CONDITIONING.

Both LEXIE and TRAD are post-graduates o' me HOLD and FORCE FETCH CONDITIONING program and as ye can see here, neither seems particularly fearful nor traumatized by being on the table subsequent to the required training, in fact t'is much to the contrary.

Me method is flexible with regard to the needs of each individual K9 being met and adjusted as the dog is "read" with regard to how it is handling training pressure.

Proper approach and time taken with each dog in meeting their needs throughout the process results in dogs that are less stressed, with less dysfunctional mouthing and delivery issues, with joyful and articulate bird handling skills, and that work by compulsion to a point of complete and classic delivery to hand.

Do your homework in the selection of a competent trainer when it comes to HOLD and FORCE FETCH conditioning for ye dog(s) and ye will be happy with the results.

Cheers,
    Irishwhistler
    TEAM TRAD PRO STAFF
    DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY

Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, Adrea Coor, and Nuala Kennedy, each an Irish whistle goddess in her own right.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IRISHWISTLER For This Useful Post:

Georgia (09-28-2016), Scoutpout (09-28-2016)

Must admit, not knowing squat about training a dog for retrieving (other than a tennis ball), the phrase "force" fetch did not settle well with me. As in all things, know the facts before judging.

Thanks for all the info you've shared.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

IRISHWISTLER (09-27-2016)

I've discussed FF with several people I train with, and one professional. From my limited experience Mike's techniques are by far the most humane and considerate of the dog and their specific temperment and needs.

I contacted Mike about a year ago when I was training Bruce, when a lady I was field training with was explaining the FF process to me, and told me it's best if you do it in the basement or garage, as there will be a lot of screaming and probably some blood.......... Yeah, not my dog lady.

It just goes to show you there is a very wide range of competency and opinions regarding FF. And don't get me started on E-Collars. I've seen some serious abuse with them too. Any tool can that can produce a masterpiece, can also be used to cause great harm in the wrong hands.

Senior Dog
    Both FF and the e-collar are greatly misunderstood. The Irishwhistler is right on with his approach. The process does not need to be a horror show and the woman you spoke about obviously did not know how the process is developed. Each dog is different and having someone who knows dogs is of the utmost importance. There are far too many people hanging out their shingle as pro trainers that know diddly squat about dogs.
    As for e-collars they are not a teaching tool. Like the FF there needs to be conditioning and teaching before a collar is used in a programme.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Scott View Post
    Both FF and the e-collar are greatly misunderstood. The Irishwhistler is right on with his approach. The process does not need to be a horror show and the woman you spoke about obviously did not know how the process is developed. Each dog is different and having someone who knows dogs is of the utmost importance. There are far too many people hanging out their shingle as pro trainers that know diddly squat about dogs.
    As for e-collars they are not a teaching tool. Like the FF there needs to be conditioning and teaching before a collar is used in a programme.
    I agree 100%.

Irish Whistler, i sure wish you lived closer!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

IRISHWISTLER (09-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    Irish Whistler, i sure wish you lived closer!
    ^^^^^^^^ This. 100%

11. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

IRISHWISTLER (09-28-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos