Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can a dog's hormones get out of whack?

Neutered male dogs are suddenly taking interest in Boomer (who's also a neutered male). Not new dogs but dogs he's been with before (he hasn't been around any new dogs this past week). I noticed my friend's dog take sudden interest in Boomer several days ago during a visit. Today, Boomer was at big dog daycare for the first time in months. The owner asked me if Boomer had been around an intact female because of all the interest from her dogs and the guest dogs. Apparently the interest faded after Boomer swam in the pool. She suggested I take him to the vet & ask about adrenals, that maybe Boomer's had a sudden change in hormones that signals the onset of something - hopefully something that can be caught early.

I've called my vet for an appointment but was wondering if anyone's had a dog go through something like this before.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (09-29-2016)

Senior Dog
    Never heard of that but it certainly could be.

My first thought, though, is that maybe you've changed his food or treats...dogs secrete food odors just like people do. (gosh...I still remember when my Mom went on a garlic binge...we convinced her to use the odorless)

Sunnie has really appealed to male dogs ever since we got her....I mean, if there's a greeting with a known or unknown dog, the rest of the visit has a nose glued to her backside. (nothing has ever gone past the sniffing stage...Sunnie would not appreciate that...they might be able to tell that, too, who knows) Sunnie also has what I call a "feral" odor...not very pronounced...but definitely different from any other dog I've ever had. She was like that when we first got her and I thought it might disappear with a bath and a change from "shelter food". Nope...it's Sunnie. (Dan, on the other hand, smells like brown sugar on his head.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Java (09-29-2016)

An ear infection or anal gland problem can cause that. Which end of Boomer are they most interested in?
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Java (09-29-2016)

Even a UTI can draw attention.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (09-30-2016), Java (09-29-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    That’s the first thing that came to mind ....
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Java (09-29-2016)

Interesting thread. Would be interested in the results if you go to the vet.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    An ear infection or anal gland problem can cause that. Which end of Boomer are they most interested in?
    Back end. So maybe anal gland problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    Really? Didn't know that. So far though, these possibilities sound treatable.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Interesting thread. Would be interested in the results if you go to the vet.
    I'll let you know what my vet says. I just don't know what to think. Today at doggy daycare, the owner came out with her female dog and watched her reaction to Boomer before taking them both in. When I picked him up later, they told me they still had to keep Boomer separated from the male dogs and let him out with the female ones only. They gave him more swimming time than usual though so that was good.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Never heard of that but it certainly could be.

My first thought, though, is that maybe you've changed his food or treats...dogs secrete food odors just like people do. (gosh...I still remember when my Mom went on a garlic binge...we convinced her to use the odorless)

Sunnie has really appealed to male dogs ever since we got her....I mean, if there's a greeting with a known or unknown dog, the rest of the visit has a nose glued to her backside. (nothing has ever gone past the sniffing stage...Sunnie would not appreciate that...they might be able to tell that, too, who knows) Sunnie also has what I call a "feral" odor...not very pronounced...but definitely different from any other dog I've ever had. She was like that when we first got her and I thought it might disappear with a bath and a change from "shelter food". Nope...it's Sunnie. (Dan, on the other hand, smells like brown sugar on his head.)
    We switched Boomer to a hypoallergenic kibble at the start of July...

No odour I can detect other than regular dog smell. I really am curious what my vet will say. I have to admit I have my fingers crossed whatever it is that's going on is easily treatable and not expensive.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:

SunDance (09-30-2016)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    We switched Boomer to a hypoallergenic kibble at the start of July...

No odour I can detect other than regular dog smell. I really am curious what my vet will say. I have to admit I have my fingers crossed whatever it is that's going on is easily treatable and not expensive.
    What's the food? Smell could be undetectable to you but attractive to another dog.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    What's the food? Smell could be undetectable to you but attractive to another dog.
    Royal Canin Hypoallergenic kibble from my vet but there might be other signs I hadn't thought were possible signs until now. Recently, he's been acting on and off as if he's constipated (he's been very regular though so I didn't think there was an issue until your comments here). But combined with the change in the way familiar dogs act towards him... I also mentioned to the vet tech that I had the groomer at the doggy daycare check his anal sacs today. Surprisingly full but not impacted.

Vet appointment's on Tuesday. Boomer seems his usual happy self but they want to do a rectal exam.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos