Check-up report for honourary Labs Achilles and Stella

I took seniors Achilles (12 years old?) and Stella (13) to the vet the other day. For folks unfamiliar with the dastardly duo, they are Australian Cattle dog crosses and long-time board 'members' . It was time for a follow up on Stella's Grade 1 heart murmur as well as possible spinal trouble possibly contributing to a UTI, and a follow up on her dental trouble last year. I also wanted the vet to look at Achilles' mouth. Stella was first up.

The vet could not detect any evidence of a murmur. Better still when flexing her hind legs/feet and gently torsioning her hindquarters, he judged that Stella has some more mobility than when last tested. I think walking 2x daily for shorter distances has helped. As for a UTI I've observed no licking herself, no discharge or need to frequently pee, other evidence of discomfort. Now that it is not so damned hot we will start walking a little farther. At 13 years Stella keeps a fine trot on our walks. Finally, the vet judged that her mouth is in good shape. Hooray, Stella is in good shape!

Alas, Achilles is facing some tooth extractions. A blood draw was done to ensure there are no kidney or liver concerns which would make anaesthesia problematic. Fortunately there are none. One enzyme (don't remember which one) is just under the normal range but the vet isn't concerned, simply something to look at when the next draw is done. Chilis' RBC is a little low and WBC as well as globulin is a little high. Taken together and compared with the rest of the panel results as well as the physical, this suggests he's battling dental disease and nothing else is going on. We will do another panel a little while after the extractions to check on this.

Chili is scheduled for the morning of Friday October 7, the Friday before our Thanksgiving weekend. I'll drop him early in the morning and should be able to bail him out by the end of the day. It's good that I'll have an extra day Monday to help him settle in. There is a saying among some cattle dog owners, when a cattle dog is ill or otherwise facing challenges. 'A Bentley is glowing here.' A glowing Bentley, good thoughts will be appreciated.

Photos of the partners in crime.

Achilles.

Stella.
    Last edited by Mr Kleb; 10-01-2016 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Remove duped 'Achilles'
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr Kleb For This Useful Post:

labsnewfy (10-01-2016), Meeps83 (09-30-2016)

Great check up Stella. Another year older and doing better, who could ask for more.

Achilles will do fine with the extractions. A couple of our seniors have had extractions and have sailed through the surgery and recovery. I do suggest getting some good quality canned food; your vet will advise you. Although dogs don't generally chew kibble, just gulp it down, I just felt better with them having something softer in their mouth. My vet did advise it for Bandit and of course Archie with his extensive problems. I think Bandit was on canned only 4 or 5 days, Archie was 10 days.

Sending mojo and good thoughts.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (10-01-2016)

Thanks Fran. The vet expected no real trouble and thought that he'd not have the oronasal fistulae that Stella had. I'll lay in a suppy of canned food, and am looking at a couple of cookbooks for canines.

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

That is a big sigh of relief for Ms Stella, wonderful news for your little girl. Good thoughts for Achilles on his up coming dental - hoping he lab work improves. Will keep both of your babies in our thoughts.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

7. The Following User Says Thank You to labsnewfy For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (10-01-2016)

Senior Dog
    Great news on Stella and, except for the necessary dental, Achilles, too. (I just love his look!)

All good thoughts for the dental visit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (10-01-2016)

Yay for Chili Dog and Stella! I hope the dental extractions are uneventful. I remember Stella's issues with that fistula, now that you mention it. I saw that the Bentley is that blaze on top of their head but what do they mean by a glowing Bentley? Whatever it means, I hope his procedure goes smoothly and his Bentley does whatever it's supposed to do when they're well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (10-01-2016)

labsnewfy, big sigh of relief indeed. I expect his bloodwork to improve once the active infection is whipped. Oh I neglected to mention in my original post - yes he has an active infection, when the vet gently pressed on his gums over one tooth root, poor Chili yipped. So it's sensitive.

SunDance, thank you! It still amazes me that he spent 363 days at the shelter.

smartrock, thanks. 'Bentley glowing' is the ACD owners' way of saying 'Good thoughts coming' 'Prayers sent', that kind of thing.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos