Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Flea mesicine recommendation

Hello all, this is my first post here. Im a part of a few other dog forum but I wanted to come here for this questions. My lab is 1 and a half years old. And im having a bit of a problem with fleas.
    Or more so flea products. I normally get sentry or petarmour as it has worked woderfully on my catsm however with my lab having the double water resistant coat, the flea med seems to just be picked up by her hair. I part the hair and put the spot treatment on her skin but a few hours later hair in that spot is all wet so i know the flea product is just being pushed out by the hair. Then she roles around or get in her bed and the product is then rubbed off on that and she never gets the full does. So anyways. What flea products do you recommend. I prefer otc as they seem to be much cheaper. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I use Frontline Plus from the vet, but it is also a topical product. So, does your dog actually have fleas or are you just concerned that the topical solution is not staying put? When I apply the topical medicine, I part their hair to get down to the skin also but I actually put a little bit of it in 3-4 spots until I've given the full dose, not just squeeze it all onto one spot. It's still up between their shoulders but each area is separated by an inch or so. I do that mainly because one of my dogs got a hotspot in that area a few days after applying the medicine. The vet insisted it was not related to the flea and tick stuff, but neither of them have had an issue with it being spread over a few different spots, as long as it's not where they can lick it off. A friend of mine who does wildlife rescue says she also spreads the application sites out some.

That happens with my dog, a bit, I use Revolution this year. Vet says it should be better at ticks than the Sentinel I always used before. Sentinel is oral, a tablet, never had any problem with it on two dogs. But where are you putting your topical? Up on the back of his head Oban's coat is really just a short single coat. It doesn't get double coated till down on his neck. I might try a couple of different places next time anyway though I suspect a certain amount of spread through the hair is calculated in the amount. The biggest problem at our house is the OH who cannot, for the life of him, remember not to pet a dog or cat after I tell him I've just applied the stuff. Oh, I do try to prevent rubbing and rolling for about an hour after putting it on.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I tried seresto collar for both my cat and dog and am very pleased. the vet for the first time told me did not see fleas on my cat and the dog has been clear. also cheaper from amazon.
    plus gigi swimming means I did not have to reapply. I will warn you watch the collar spot and the animal closely for 2 weeks as stated in the collar. I actually closely monitored for 1 month. a pair of coon hounds on the collar got rashes and skin issues on seresto. the owners did not follow the 2 week recommended monitoring instead put it on and let it go for 2 months. Some animals are allergic to the collar based ones.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfz For This Useful Post:

atp_08 (10-02-2016)

Senior Dog
    I use FrontLine TopSpot. Both of my dogs get "oil slicks", too...mostly Danny. I haven't noticed any lessening of protection because of this. I do try to make sure the hair stays erect when applying the liquid (i.e., not holding hair down with my fingers on either side of the spot where I'm applying the liquid...just let the tip of the applicator keep the hair apart) and...VERY IMPORTANT...do it right before a time when the dogs will be standing or at least lying down somewhere where they don't roll. On a dry day, that could be just before a long walk. Most days, though, it's right after breakfast and they'll be staying in the family room or living room where they're not prone to rolling.

Puppy
    oil slicks and frequent bath time are both problematic, so,
    Rather than liquid meds, I've always found that solid meds like Nexgard work better for my dogs.

Best Friend Retriever
    Trifexis here, if you add heartworm and flea stuff together, it's less money and works, no small puppies though, read directions.

Some of the various brands mentioned above may be for fleas and ticks but not heartworm, some for heartworm and fleas but not ticks. I'm not sure any one of them cover everything, fleas, ticks, heartworm, intestinal parasites. Whatever you choose, make sure you're covering everything that needs to be covered if you're going to switch. It may take more than one product. I also try to avoid using products whose purposes overlap, for example, Sentinel is for heartworm and fleas but Frontline also covers fleas plus ticks. The vet claims it's not a problem to overlap but I try to avoid it.

Puppy
    Thanks for the responses. Ive tried revolution and for whatever reason it did not work all. Ive tries the seresto collar and my dog got that horrible rash, up side, i called Bayer the maker of the collar and they offered me a full refund. I use safegaurd for my deworming purposes and it seems to work great. Ill look into some of the pills mentioned but normally they are a bit pricey. I can get 6months worth of flea meds off chewy.com from sentry for 17$..cant really beat that. But what im running into is that i don't believe the meds are killing all the fleas. And ive switched up the active ingredient a couple times so they dont build up a resistance and treated the house. So im assuming shes just not getting the full does

Best Friend Retriever
    Quote Originally Posted by atp_08 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Ive tried revolution and for whatever reason it did not work all. Ive tries the seresto collar and my dog got that horrible rash, up side, i called Bayer the maker of the collar and they offered me a full refund. I use safegaurd for my deworming purposes and it seems to work great. Ill look into some of the pills mentioned but normally they are a bit pricey. I can get 6months worth of flea meds off chewy.com from sentry for 17$..cant really beat that. But what im running into is that i don't believe the meds are killing all the fleas. And ive switched up the active ingredient a couple times so they dont build up a resistance and treated the house. So im assuming shes just not getting the full does

Re-read your original post and see no mention of:
    heartworm meds, and/or what does your vet recommend.
    Wouldn't that be a good place to start?

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos