Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Louie update

Puppy

Louie update

Hey all,
    I posted a few weeks ago about having some issues with my lab, Louie, and there have been some developments since. I'm mainly just writing to vent and seek comfort from other lab parents.

At first, a couple weeks ago, they focused on his leg and his limp and put him on an anti-inflammatory, and he seemed to respond well to that. Until the 6th of June when his limp returned. Since then, we had had a regular vet check up scheduled for this coming Thursday, so I had communicated with my vet via telephone and the plan was to rest him, keep him under control, until the following check up.

However, in the time since then, he has just gotten weaker and weaker and weaker. The positives: He seems to be in no pain, he still eats, although sometimes it takes a little encouragement. (And only his favorite- beef and rice). He's drinking water, in fact the only thing that gets him "up" in terms of mood is a chance to drink water from the hose.

As I sat and watched him get weaker and weaker I grew concerned and called the vet again. We kept the plan the same. Saturday morning he started throwing up, and we rushed him to the vet. After some blood tests, (more blood tests) he came up hypo-caliumic. (Meaning way too much calcium in the blood, to the tune of 150% of normal) Sent home again, they wanted us back in this morning for more blood tests to be done to be sent off to Cornell University for more testing. So now, we won't know anything for probably a week. Meanwhile, my 5 year old lab is just so weak, he can barely squat down to pee, or walk up a step. I need to carry him up the stairs or into the car. This is tearing me up!

Like I said, I'm not really looking for anything. Just venting. I don't know if any of you have dealt with something similar. If so, I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

~ Tired and sad dog dad.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope further tests will show the cause and the vets will be able to treat it.

No experience with hypercalcemia but I have found this: Excess Calcium in the Blood in Dogs | petMD

Hope it helps. Hang in there.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I am so sorry, the worrying must be just awful. Good wishes being sent to you and Louie.
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I'm sorry I can't help but I'm sending my get well vibes.

Very scary. How lucky you were persistent and contacted your Vet again. Good wishes for a quick recovery from this.

Puppy
    Thanks, folks. It's just been tough. Lou is a real trooper and he's dealing with it. I feel like guilty because I think this is harder on me than him. He just keeps looking at me with those "help me" eyes and I always said, no matter what, if he was drowning I'd jump in. If he was attacked I'd fight for him. Now he's sick and I'm trying to help and there is nothing I can do but sit next to him and pet him and play guitar for him. I miss our walks most. :-(

Thanks all for the positive thoughts. We will keep on truckin' and hopefully, if it's necessary, get through another surgery and hopefully be able to go swimmin' and running again.

Poor Louie and you, sorry that you are going through this, sending positive energy your way.

Poor Louie. It's horrible to feel helpless, not know what is going on.

Sending mojo and many prayers.

I am so sorry. Sending good thoughts and prayers got Louie.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Senior Dog
    So tough to sit there and feel so helpless to help. Sending good thoughts, hoping things turn around and your running and swimming buddy is back to his ole self.

KAZ

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos