Exhausting Weekend!

Whatever possessed me to enter *4* dogs in the 3 day trials/shows at the end of apple harvest when I was already pooped???

Anyhow, it went pretty well. I had taken Envy (almost 8 yrs old and spayed) and Kiku (almost 7.5, not spayed) out of semi retirement to do Rally Exc B on a bit of a whim. The extent of their pre-trial training was going in place of Ruby 2x to her Rally class (basically just a course run thru session) when Ruby went into season in July, then again when Ruby got bit by the rattler 3 wks ago. Another friend/ pup owner set up Advanced courses weekly that I just modified as I ran the course and tossed in some Exc exercises. Anyhow, not much prep on our part, but since both have CDX's and some utility training, I figured we could handle it. And we did! We now have 2 new Rally Excellent (RE) titlers in the house! We had to compete w/ the diehards in RE B class (and holy cow there are some career Rally competitors out here!), so imagine my surprise when Envy actually won the class on Friday morning w/ a 97! We had 2 trials on Friday and our last run was LATE in the day (host club was really messed up and so was judge on one of the stations...), so that one wasn't so great (mid 80 scores for both). But on Sat am, both got 96's w/ Kiku edging Envy out based on time for the 4th place (good for $5). Titles done, and I decided to be selfish and mark them absent so I could sleep one more hour on Sunday am. I had been getting up at 445am to get down there (95+ miles) by 8am ring time.

Miss Ruby Booby had a super busy weekend as she was entered in both Rally trials on Friday (Advanced) and Beginner Nov B. Also in both classes for Sat and Sunday (single trials). I knew that was a LOT to ask of her. She just turned 20 mos on Friday and on top of it, went w/ me to the same grounds to retrieve her brother Russell on Thurs who will be staying here awhile--- so there were added distractions for the weekend for her w/ him in tow as well. Anyhow... She nailed her Rally Adv classes w/ scores of 94, 98, 95, and 99 (good for a $20 check that day)! She ended up winning 1st place in 3 of the 4 trials. And we had conflicting ring times w/ Beg Nov B as well for 2 of the trials! She aced the BN-B class by taking the blue in all 3 trials entered. I kept her in on Sunday despite titling on Sat for the ring experience and still got a big slurpy kiss at the end of the recall exercise as I was leashing her up. What a great weekend for the "boob" though!

Didn't finish the CDX on Kanzi though DRATS, we had it!!! Q'd in all the individuals, made it thru the Long Sit (and the grounds were rather quiet for my tastes at the time), she went into her "pancake puppy" mode on the Down and was fine until something apparently bit her in the butt, right under her "poo poo" (sorry for the reference!). She went to bite it back, and had to stand up apparently to 'git it' , then laid back down. My pup owner from ID came behind the trailer where handlers were sequestered to tell me not to be overly happy w/ Kanzi since it was going to look to me as though we titled. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH! On Sat, something landed on her back as I left her on the Drop on Recall (coincidentally in the same spot as where her Sits/ Downs were the day prior!). She scratched and stood up. As I turned to call her, she was obviously feeling guilty (rut roh... I don't think this is where mom left me...) and stepped toward me 2 steps... enough for an NQ. POOP. Sunday (yet another mid afternoon Open class so late in the day after being up at o-dark thirty), we were both out of it. My heeling sucked as I totally missed that there was a halt 10 ft after the start, so I had a no sit, and we just didn't look sharp... Got to the recall and there was commotion right about the time I was calling her and she missed her drop. Then a big crash of canopies or ring set ups or what ever from the tear down crew next ring over right as we were at the broad jump. What a cluster****!!!! Ackkk. I did opt to stay for the groups to support the person who Q'd before me (since Kanzi had to do Open Stays by herself last year there and it wasn't fun I'm sure!) and she nailed those thankfully. So, got some training out of it anyhow, and in retrospect I have to say, Kanzi was enthusiastic the whole weekend in the ring, so I really can't be too bummed w/ that! She's only 2.5 and yet really seems to weather the ring pressure quite well! As one of my obed friends loves to sing a modified version of "Tomorrow, Tomorrow... I love you Tomorrow".... LOL.

I keep telling myself I can't knock earning 4 new titles in 2 days, right? Now onto field and some show dawg training... Russell will be here for a few weeks at least so we hope to use the time well. He is sure a pretty boy.

Below, WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN RA:

IntCH WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC, IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC and WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN RA with all their pretty ribbons and winnings.

Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

What a great weekend!!! I can certainly understand how exhausted you must be! I know how tired I am, and how much time I spend with training 2 dogs, so I can't even imagine what you must go through! Give all the girls a scratch from me, and Brooks and Sophie send their congratulations!!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (10-04-2016)

I'm beyond tired I think. I tend to work on adrenalin for a long time, then I crash! All the stress of harvest work (finishing up and invoicing), then getting Russell (actually via Sarah...Turbo's owner!), spending all weekend w/ friends who are just as intense or moreso than I about the competition / breed issues, oh my.... So I just realized I should brag on Sarah and Turbo too. LOL!!!

So........... Brooks' DaddyO, Turbo, took High Labrador in Trial on Sunday (I have his prize here too.. a really nice fleece blankie!).

Sunday was his lesser of performances (189.5?) but... on Friday (193.5 and 194.5), he was confronted on his Sit Stay not once but at both trials by an intact male Golden who broke his Stay. Grrrrrrrrr! First trial, Turbo just turned his head and said "I don't see you, I don't acknowledge you". Second trial (very late in day), Sarah's instructor who is an AKC judge and has an intact terrier told her to go to Turbo and take him away if the Golden did it again. And so it happened again! (I was dropping the F bomb by now). The judge allowed Turbo to re-do his Stays w/ the 2nd group and he was fine... 194.5 good for 2nd place in NovB. Sarah was in breed on Sat am w/ Turbo and there would have been a bit of conflict there, and so she had already decided she needed to mark the team as absent based on the fact the Golden was still entered on Sat but not on Sunday (thank god). I was there when the Golden's owner approached her Sat am and apologized for his dog's behavior. Sarah was way too nice to him. I had just talked to another trainer friend from his area about it, not happy... and she told me to talk to the guy as she had already approached him after trial 2 to tell him how BAD that was!!! I decided to keep my mouth shut since I had enough to deal with w/ my own there. Anyhow, ends up on Sat one of my other pup owners was ring stewarding and saw the same Golden go into the face of a Belgian Malinois who was now on his other side! The Mal (lucky GR) turned his head, trying hard not to acknowledge the dog's stupidity. After the GR was excused AGAIN from the groups (3 for 3!), the owner of the Mal apparently chased the GR owner down and gave him the "Whatfor". TG!!! Apparently ripped him a new one... Gosh, I was so stressed over that because I knew Sarah was stressed but she's too nice to just let go like the Mal owner did. Meanwhile back in conformation, Turbo did win his class. but Ughhhh. Anyhow, Sunday Turbo (as I said before) wasn't totally up to his game but he did pretty well. And finished his CD. But it was really interesting having his "instructor" (who is an AKC judge who I really like) there to tell me HE REALLY HAS HEADS UP HEELING TRAINING! LOL.... Oh my......... and people wonder why I get stressed?

Oh and yes.... Rally Exc. Judge was long time AKC Rep. had a 25 FOOT (not 6 ft) to call sign after the moving down. I went to my judge friend corner after walking it and said, "ummmmm, something is not jiving here, what's the distance on that?". I thought it was 6-10 ft but nope, just 6'. Not 25!!!! Unfortunately it was too late to approach the judge w/ the regs as she had started to judge the first dog already. That's further than Utility as I recall. Oh well.

Here's Sarah and Turbo (Brook's daddy!):

Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

It's hard to believe anyone is that stupid to allow their dog to do that. Once is bad enough, but 3 times!! You can't tell me the owner didn't know he had an issue with this.

I can't even imagine a 25' recall in Rally, the ring must have been massive!

I gotta tell you, I've never really considered having chocolates, although I did have one I adopted when he was 7. But after seeing Turbo, and especially Russell, I could maybe see it. Very handsome boys!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (10-05-2016)

WOW and huge Congratulations for an awesome weekend.

With all the difficulties, your basket full of "apples" shined through.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (10-05-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos