Rocky - Saw Another Vet

Today we met with a new (to us) vet. He came recommended by many as he does both regular vet stuff (he is a vet) AND he is also into holistic healing-supplementing and such. Since I was having trouble managing all of Rocky's issues.

So as we knew from the second blood test his kidney is stable (bounced back to better numbers once we put him on KD diet and off metecam). however, this doctor pointed out that his thyroid was pretty low. and his marrow was off.

Physically he doesn't think arthritis is a major issues. not to say he has none just that it's not a that bad and we need to look at the rest first. The major issue, which we knew, is his neurological issues in the spine. It is degenerative but he thinks there are things we can try to hopefully make big improvements in his quality of life.

he called Rock very flat. and he was, sorta passed out on the floor. the exam was hard on him in the sense he was pocked and proded a lot, had to stand a lot (which is hard for him).

So to see about the thyroid first i am to take his temp in the morning first thing for five days and note. his temps was lowish today (101.5). his heart rate was also slow. Then one day of taking it every 2 hours (he said it helps see what parts are no kicking in as the body goes thru cycles in the day). Depending on results then we'll do a full thyroid panel.

for the neurological issues he doesn't think the gabapentin is particularly useful and says the dosage we are on is high. he wants to try neural therapy and tens treatment and...traumeel/procaine. I don't realy know what any of that is (he did explain it haha - like accupuncture and they may inject something in there).

and i think the supplement he recommended is called blood rocks or heart rocks. i'll hvae to find out more we don't have them yet. then i guess based on how things go we'll be adding other stuff.

oh and i was super worried about his teeth but he said they were not terrible!

A gal who I've known for many years mentioned last night at my rally class that gabapentin (sp?) is really long lasting in the blood. The one gal was subbing as an instructor who said that, and had to return her older mini poo (who suffered a back injury) to the breeder because of sudden aggression/ behavior issues. Apparently caused by the meds??? That's the extent of what I caught but wow, I think it's a pretty high powered drug if there is residual that long. I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to all the drugs... I'm glad you consulted w/ a holistic vet.

On a slightly different tangent, one gal came up to me this weekend who I had told (this past spring at a trial) about my experience years ago w/ Fuji's neck injury and how prolotherapy was her miracle. She and I were nearly in tears after talking about the treatment... and Success!!! Her Sheltie did fantastic this weekend and yet she too was almost at the point that she thought she'd have to put her girl down. I hold a very special place in my heart for the holistic tool box as I thought the same w/ Fuji. Dang... keep up the good work.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

I saw a few days ago a video you posted of Rocky walking, and the way he moves his back legs and his hocks kind of "falling" I also thought it was neurological. Since Cookie had the same problem after his FHO surgery, and electric stimulation therapy helped a lot, I'd also recommend you try tens. It took a couple of months but he improved a lot. He is no longer dragging his leg and his hock is no longer "falling". Cookie also has problems with his back (spondylosis).
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

we've known he had neurological issues in the back end for awhile now. it's just gotten worse and this new vet has other ideas on potential treatments.

i'll have to look into prolotherapy!

Regarding gabapentin - that's the opposite of what I hear actually. Both vets (even this new one) said it was one of the most harmless drugs you can use that doesn't stay in their system and the only side effect if you give too much is they get sleepy.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos