Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grand Mal seizure??

Last night I think Dakota had a grand mal seizure. I have seen her have petit mal-maybe 3 in her lifetime that I was there for. Last night we were at the park and China kept sniffing around Dakota's face-and Dakota let her! I was thinking these dogs are weird...we went home & it happened again then about 30 minutes later Dakota began having a seizure. Her body stiffened up as she laid on the bed, then she began foaming at the mouth and shaking. At one point she looked at me & seemed to be coming out of it then started crying. I was so scared. China stayed right there the whole time. I think China could sense this coming on hours before it did-is that possible??

Poor Dakota. Hope she's better this morning? Don't know about sensing a seizure coming on, but I believe it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Dog
    Yes, it’s absolutely possible both that Dakota had a seizure and China sensed it coming. There are dogs trained to help people with seizure disorders by warning them a seizure is coming before the people themselves can tell.

For what it’s worth, Mulder had both petit-mal and the occasional grand mal seizure in his later years. We think he had a slow-growing brain tumor, but he did make it another two years after it started with very good quality of life. (((HUGS))) It’s not easy to witness. If Dakota starts having them more frequently, you should speak to a vet about trying anti-seizure drugs, but what they told us with Mulder was that with infrequent (every 6 weeks or so) seizures, at his age (14 at the time) the drugs would be worse for him than the seizures. It is incredible scary to watch, but isolated seizure don’t usually hurt them - if they start to cluster is when it gets hard on them.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Dakota is 12 and seems to be in such fabulous shape for her age...when this began last night I , at first, feared some type of poisoning...but then as it progressed and wound down I felt sure this is what it was. This morning before I left for work I held her head in my hands & told her how deeply she is loved. Just so she knows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MontananDakota For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (10-08-2016)

Jack's had them before. But not in almost 2 years. You may need to have to vet look at him due to his age. Although we found that with Jack, chicken was a NO NO for him.

So scary! I have no doubt that China knew something was wrong. Poor Dakota. Hoping that is the first and only she has.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

8. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (10-06-2016)

Just saw this and I am shaking. Dakota, Dakota, don't do this.

SENDING MANY ARMS FULL OF MOJO FOR DAKOTA AND YOU. Sending prayers from heaven Dakota will be OK!!!!!
    Hidden Content

CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

so scary, hope you find some answers or better yet it doesn't happen again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    I'm sorry to hear this...even the petit mal ones are scary and the grand mal ones much more so. My first Basenji started having them when she got older (don't remember age...long ago) and the vet told my Mom that it could be epilepsy or diabetes. Mom didn't have further checking done, that's all I remember. Since I wasn't living "at home" anymore, I don't know how often she continued to have them, if at all. And my first Lab Brutus' petit mal seizures (we didn't know that was what was happening with Bru) evolved into grand mal over time (he was 13).

My yellow girl Honey had petit mal seizures from internal overheating (holistic vet diagnosis). We changed food from kibble ("adds fuel to the fire") to canned, using cool and neutral temperature value protein sources (Traditional Chinese Medicine temp values) and her seizures stopped. So....the point of my reply....if you're feeding Dakota kibble, you may wish to switch. Kibble can exacerbate seizures (by internal heating) regardless of their cause.

Many good thoughts headed your way.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

thanks Sundance, she does get dry kibble and its ( just my luck) a special high fiber one because she gets diarrhea easily if I try to switch her off it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MontananDakota For This Useful Post:

SunDance (10-06-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos