Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GS Not Happy At All

It's his own fault. DD went to pick up the kids from school. GD came out. They waited and waited for GS; no show. She's panicking. Teaches are looking all over for him. Well, he decided to walk home, alone! Not only that, he did not take the path through the park/playground and two blocks down a residential street to the house. Oh no, he took the route that we drive, along a 5 lane road, heavy with traffic. He claimed that he did not see DD but the only way out of the pickup area was near when she stands waiting; he had to be sneaking out. He figured it was OK because cars stopped as he crossed side roads. Luckily the neighbor across the street saw him standing in the yard and called DD. If it had been me picking him up, she would not have known to call me. On top of that, we've had an incident of the scary clowns threatening kids in the neighborhood the same day.

He is on so many restrictions, no TV, no video games, playing in his room only. My day to take the kids this morning and they alternate picking games we'll play until time to go. It was GS's choice this morning but he lost that privilege. Upset him to the point of crying. I told him when he was ready, he could join GD and myself in her choice of game.

Also, he thinks he's too big to hold hands when we walk from the car to the school entrance. OK with me as long as he stays close. He lost that privilege too. We had a discussion about trust and I told him it would take time for me to trust him completely again. I think he's getting the message.

DD gained a lot more grey hairs.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

How old is he? Fairly young right? Scary situation, but hopefully he got the message!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little monkey.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

Poor kid. If he doesn't see his Mom in the car-rider lane, would he normally just walk home? Isn't he supposed to wait for his sister if he doesn't see you or Mom? Is he the older of the 2? Maybe he had something on his mind, had a bad day, needed some alone time and was distracted. It does sound like he's learning his lesson the hard way. I'm glad they have a vigilant neighbor, I'm sure his Mom was in full panic mode.

It's a shame that we hear so much bad or just plain weird stuff happening these days, what the heck is going on with the stupid clowns? I'm sure I walked home > a mile from elementary school, usually with a younger sibling. Of course, that was back in the time of the dinosaurs but there were some known weirdos in town, probably more than a few unknown ones, too.

He's just about to turn 9. He knows better than to walk; that's a big no-no. We park on a side street from the school; the drive through lane is very congested. We walk from the car to the school and then reverse at the end of the day. GD, who is younger, is met at the gate but GS wants to me met at the flag pole. No problem, only about 20 feet away, all safe walking area. He's been talking about walking home and guess he just decided, without telling anyone, he was going to take it into his own hands and go for it.

He's been pushing the boundaries lately at home. He's learning that certain boundaries are not worth crossing.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Scary stuff. So glad the neighbor was paying attention.

I have to say that so many people think that clown thing is funny. I can't imagine what's going through their heads. Bunch of spoiled brats.

It's actually kinda sad that a 9 year old can't be trusted to walk home on him own. It's a sad commentary that we as parents and grandparents have to worry like this over a 9 year old walking home from school.

When I was a kid, I walked to and from school, about 1.5 miles along some busy streets. My parents never thought twice about it. I was able to ride my bicycle along busy streets to baseball and soccer practice, 3 miles away at the same age. I know the world is a much scarier place now, and I think several generations of kids are suffering because of it.

Fran I'm glad things were ok. I know how hard it is when you are worrying like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Mollysmomma (10-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    It's actually kinda sad that a 9 year old can't be trusted to walk home on him own. It's a sad commentary that we as parents and grandparents have to worry like this over a 9 year old walking home from school.

When I was a kid, I walked to and from school, about 1.5 miles along some busy streets. My parents never thought twice about it. I was able to ride my bicycle along busy streets to baseball and soccer practice, 3 miles away at the same age. I know the world is a much scarier place now, and I think several generations of kids are suffering because of it.

Fran I'm glad things were ok. I know how hard it is when you are worrying like this.
    You are exactly right. Except for high school, I always walked to school and it was not a worry.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

House Broken
    Sounds like he is craving some independence which is natural and also good thing at that age. Hopefully you can find a way to allow him to earn the reward of doing things independently instead of punishing him for trying it on his own. Not to tell anyone how to parent, but in the long run that approach can backfire big time. Punishments lose all meaning if they are constantly used and in place and can just perpetuate a cycle of bad behavior and punishment.

We are lucky to live in a small, safe neighborhood only a few blocks from the elementary school and many kids walk alone or in small groups. Our 7 year old has yet to express an interest in doing so, but we will let him when he does (although I am sure my wife won't be able to help following discretely from a distance).

Charlie's Dad: Yes, he is at that age. Just wish he did not try a way that scared the poop out of us.

Had to pick him up from school early yesterday, running a low fever. He stayed at the house with me today. He's such a neat kid, very imaginative. He does get frustrated, he is dyslectic. His younger sister is in first grade and reads at the 5th grade level where he is struggling. We have to support and praise them in different ways. There is friction there with them being competitive.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos