Need some advice

Long and short of it is I need some advice on a co-own. I know I'm friends with a lot of you on Facebook but I don't really want to post it on Facebook because I don't want obviously the person to see it. I guess I just need to get a few other peoples thoughts on what's going on.
    Thanks, Leslie
    Hidden Content My boys Emmit, Avery, and Leroy.

What's up? Private message me, you don't want whatever this is public at all.

Anything I'd heard is only second hand.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

and although i do have a facebook account, don't use it much and honestly don't think ive added the people that you would be involved with
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
    Missing:
    Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
    "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

I've done a handful of co-owns. To me it boils down to both parties expressing what is important to one another and respecting one another... otherwise it's not going to work. My first co-own will be 10 yrs old in a few days and FINALLY this year I'll have a girl I can breed to him! Woot wooo! (and yes, we are still friends, lol!!!). If you want to pm, that's fine. Anne
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Not sure what the situation is, but my feeling is generally that a co-own needs to be governed by a very detailed contract that outlines all the expectations and responsibilities, including financial responsibilities, of all parties involved.

I don't keep girls, so I think people are slightly more open to placing a male show prospect. Honestly, for me at this point, there is no puppy I want badly enough to do a co-own on. Either a breeder trusts me completely to do right by their puppy or they don't, and if they don't, then it's best we both move on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dxboon For This Useful Post:

Labradorks (10-13-2016)

I've done a co own before if you want to PM me or message me through FB. I sold a few on co-owns, and Jagger, my new Champion, is a co-own.

Quote Originally Posted by dxboon View Post
    Not sure what the situation is, but my feeling is generally that a co-own needs to be governed by a very detailed contract that outlines all the expectations and responsibilities, including financial responsibilities, of all parties involved.

I don't keep girls, so I think people are slightly more open to placing a male show prospect. Honestly, for me at this point, there is no puppy I want badly enough to do a co-own on. Either a breeder trusts me completely to do right by their puppy or they don't, and if they don't, then it's best we both move on.
    There are different reasons (outside of trust issues) to co-own. For me, my numbers are limited here by county standards and my ability to do right by my dogs. Mine are not kennel dogs.

However, there are times when you produce pups that are very special, and need/ want to hang on to them at least thru breeding rights. So I've done just that w/ a few as well, but you lose a lot of control w/ regard to spay or neuter... etc. There are just so many factors involved to generalize on contracts and agreements but as said earlier, it all needs to be discussed up front, in detail, laying it all on the table. The breeder tends to have more at stake than the other co-owner, to be honest.
    Hidden Content
    The WindyCanyon Girls (taken Summer 2018)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Northern Spy CDX RA JH OA OAJ CC (14.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Ruby Pink BN CD RA CC (4.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Kanzi BN CDX RE JH (5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon ItsOnlyMoneyHoneycrisp BN RN CC (16mos)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Pippin BN RI CC (2.5 yrs)
    IntCH WindyCanyon's Envy CDX RE JH CC (10.5 yrs)
    IntCH HIT WindyCanyon's Kiku A Fuji Too CDX RE JH CC (10 yrs)

Quote Originally Posted by windycanyon View Post
    There are different reasons (outside of trust issues) to co-own. For me, my numbers are limited here by county standards and my ability to do right by my dogs. Mine are not kennel dogs.

However, there are times when you produce pups that are very special, and need/ want to hang on to them at least thru breeding rights. So I've done just that w/ a few as well, but you lose a lot of control w/ regard to spay or neuter... etc. There are just so many factors involved to generalize on contracts and agreements but as said earlier, it all needs to be discussed up front, in detail, laying it all on the table. The breeder tends to have more at stake than the other co-owner, to be honest.
    I don't disagree that there are legitimate reasons to co-own, and agree that there are many factors involved. I don't begrudge breeders their desire to protect their stakes in the dogs they produce. I just don't want to be involved in co-owns personally. While that limits my ability to work with many breeders, I am okay with that. Every breeder has the right to do as they see fit with their dogs and lines. I have nothing but respect for good breeders.

I've never co-owned and I'm not a breeder. I will say this. Any relationship between two people is fraught with potential problems. Just like a marriage, where everyone goes in all starry eyed, in the cold light of day, things can come undone in a hurry.

I just hope everything works out for the OP.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos