Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Overnight for spay?

I cant remember when I had Montana & Dakota fixed..it was so long ago. Do they always have to stay overnight? I thought I remember vaguely picking Dakota up same day... I ask because China needs to go in to be spayed probably next month and they say she needs to stay overnight. I just feel horrible because I see she is clearly a nervous nellie at the vets & it kills me to have to leave her there...without me...for the night. Especially because she just got used to her new home with me, I don't want her to think I'm not coming back for her.

I absolutely would not leave her overnight unless staff is also going to be there overnight to monitor her. I heard a horror story of someone who left their dog overnight after a spay, and the dog was by itself all night. Ended up having a complication and died b/c no one was there. If the dog would have been at home the owner would have recognized that something was wrong and would have been able to take the dog to an e-vet and she would have been fine.

Years ago when my mom had her two labs spayed, they did not stay overnight. I don't know if overnight stays are common.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

Bamps (11-13-2016), Charlotte K. (10-14-2016)

Senior Dog
    Mine have never stayed overnight. There wouldn’t be anyone there to monitor them, anyway.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Grace was spayed about 5 years ago and did NOT stay overnight. Ask if someone will be in the office all night. If not, then there is no reason to leave the dog there. Plus it's always good to have a 2nd vet that you go to, maybe someone else can spay her.

Even with the seniors where the spay/neuter put more stress on their older bodies, they all came home the same day. It was a rough night for all of us, the dog coming out of anesthesia, whining. When Potion was spayed she developed a small bleeder in the evening and we had to take her to the E-vet. Did not take more than cleaning up and binding but they kept her the rest of the night to monitor.

I would not leave a dog if there was nobody to monitor them. It could have been a serious situation for Potion if she was not monitored. The next morning early she was ready to come home and was all wiggles and happy face. Can't keep a good old lab down, LOL.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
    None of mine have ever stayed overnight. There isn't 24-hour monitoring at my vet's office and I wouldn't leave an animal overnight without a good reason and guaranteed monitoring. There are just too many stories about things going wrong after a spay...although we've never had any issues, after hearing the stories (one person I know personally...a research vet, actually...lost her Rhodesian Ridgeback that way), I would be monitoring my girl like a hawk for signs that something might be going wrong.

Our vet has staff who monitor pets overnight and he always keeps them overnight for spay and neutering. His prices are so reasonable that I probably pay less for the surgery, including overnight monitoring, than many others do for a same day procedure. I'm OK with that. I'd be OK to bring them home, too, but I think they do elective procedures in the afternoon so it allows them to operate later into the afternoon and watch them overnight for problems. It probably saves them a lot of phone calls from owners who are worried about their pet's behavior post anesthesia.

I knew it-both mine came home same day...I remember Montana having a hard time coming out of anesthesia whining and feeling wobbly.
    Maybe this is because of her age ( she is 9)?? I was planning to use this place because they gave me the cheapest price & I just had her blood work done there. But I can have that sent somewhere else if need be right? There was a significant difference in prices. IF someone will be there to monitor-should I let her stay? Or just go ahead with a different vet?

If someone is THERE, then I would go through with it.

Gigi is going in 6 days. She is getting dropped off at 7.00. Her surgery is right after that in an hour or so.She will picked up at 6.30 pm.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos