Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dog food recommendations?

Hi Everyone

Normally I sign on under "Sarge" but for some reason, it won't allow me back in so I had to create a new sign in using our other dog's name!

Anyway, Sarge is 3 and has grand mal seizures during the middle of the night in hot weather (though inside our house is air conditioned).
    I've been told feeding him grainless food could help, such as Blue Buffalo.
    Anyone tried this food or have any thoughts on it?

We've also got a six-month old puppy (Trudy). She is recovering from a UTI.

We'd been feeding them both Purina Dog Chow, per the recommendation of the breeder, but I'm now thinking this is a low quality food we should ditch.
    If not Blue Buffalo or Grain Free, anyone have some suggestions? Search engines not yielding too many entries on this topic.

Thanks everyone!

The board crashed, everyone had to re-register. Search won't work because we've started from scratch again and it's just been a month we've been back up.

I would put the pup on Pro Plan Sport 30/20.

I would put the seizure dog on a food that doesn't have lamb or chicken in it. We've had success with Earthborn Holistic Great Plains (Bison). Stick with "cool" proteins...bison, beef, fish...

We feed GF fromm beef fritatta. No experience with seizures.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Thank you everyone! I wondered if I had been kicked off for some reason. Boy, am I sorry that data base of info is gone. It was so invaluable. Any hope of recovering it?
    JenC, thank you for the recommendation. I'll look for the food you suggested. Is it grain free?
    Also, I've been eyeing the pro plan because I'd read on the boards in the past that a lot of owners use it. That sounds like a good one for the puppy.
    I'd never heard the "cool" protein theory. Very interesting. We'd certainly like to go a summer with fewer seizures. Sarge is too intermittent for treatment with PB or other drugs, I think, but I am so, so scared one of these days a seizure is going to kill him despite our every effort to keep him cool and calm during summer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trudy For This Useful Post:

tennysonlab (06-25-2014)

The Earthborn is grain free. The "cool" food thing is a Traditional Chinese Medicine theory. The food I recommended does have some lamb in it but it's low on the list. I kept Jack's seizures at bay for about a year on it, when I changed he had another one. I don't limit Jack's activity at all. I let him be a dog.

I just like to keep Sarge inside when it's really hot. He goes out for a few minutes and lies outside when he wants. He's not a super active dog, more like a lazy lab.
    Plus our puppy keeps him really busy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2209-jpg  

Sorry to hear about Sarge's seizures. You mentioned Blue Buffalo in your first post. Murphy did not do well on Blue Buffalo. It is too rich for many labs and he had constant loose stools. I know other dogs had this same reaction. This is not to say your dogs will too, but just sharing my experience with it.
    Hidden Content

Murphy at Carmel Beach

Born 5/1/05
    Found his forever home 1/21/12

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Murphy's Mommy For This Useful Post:

tennysonlab (06-25-2014)

Puppy
    I didn't experience this one, but I think I can ask my friend about your issue.

Hmm. I've noticed softer stool so far. I'll keep an eye on that. I plan to follow JenC's recommendation for another grain free brand she lists in an above reply.

Luna had great poo with Blue Buffalo Wilderness (GF), but we switched her to NutriSource Heartland/Seafood select (GF) because I felt more comfortable with a smaller company. Her poo is great on NutriSource also. Orijen was way too rich for her.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos