Thread: Senior Food?

Senior Food?

Two questions:

1. I read through some of the previous posts on this section and I came across one that mentions how senior food is generally not recommended. Ooops. I had switched Sierra's food to the senior version about a year ago. She was eating the Wellness Complete large breed when I got her (she was 6 years old) and I kept her on the same formula. Then I switched her on Wellness senior complete when she was 9 and she will be 10 soon. Should I switch back and then just feed her a little less?

2. Also I currently give her the large breed dasuquin chew once a day. Are there be other possible supplements I should consider?

The difference in adult vs. senior is the drop the protein level. Seniors need the protein. I would personally put the dog on the Complete Health Grain Free Chicken. It's got a decent amount of protein, a lower amount of fat than other regular adult foods...Just change next bag.

If the Dasaquin works, then it's fine. We had an active lab with elbow problems, it presented me with the challenge of finding something that actually worked. It took years, but once I did, I saw results. You can always add in a fish oil pill each meal. I have my 11 y/o girl on Glycoflex 1. But she's not really showing any joint issues at this time.

One of the big things learned here is not changing to senior food. We home seniors and at first did the same thing, changing to senior formulas. I now feed Fromm and feed a little less and using fruit or green beans as a tummy filler. Be sure you use no salt green beans; I find the frozen easier to feed. Fromm has a whitefish formula which does have a few fewer calories and Mardi actually lost a little weight on it during the less active winter season.

Once a senior joins our family I start them immediately on Cosequin D and 500 mg of vitamin C. Both are in chewable form and gets put in their morning meal.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

My 10 year old eats regular food. I aim for foods with 26-30% protein and rotate among a few different brands. Both of my dogs get Dasuquin with MSM, Vitamin C 500 mg, and some fish oil. I took the younger one to an ortho vet for limping when she was young, the ortho vet recommended the Dasuquin but stressed it should be the formula with MSM. She didn't think the fish oil or Vitamin C were necessary but our general vet had recommended them, so I give them. Both large breed and senior foods tend to announce they contain glucosamine and chondroitin but the doses are nowhere near the level they get in supplements.

I guess feed whatever amount keeps your dog's weight where you want it. Different foods have different calories per cup so if you switch to another formula, I'd aim for the same number of daily calories and then adjust up or down according to her weight.

Quote Originally Posted by kaialeena View Post
    Two questions:

1. I read through some of the previous posts on this section and I came across one that mentions how senior food is generally not recommended. Ooops. I had switched Sierra's food to the senior version about a year ago. She was eating the Wellness Complete large breed when I got her (she was 6 years old) and I kept her on the same formula. Then I switched her on Wellness senior complete when she was 9 and she will be 10 soon. Should I switch back and then just feed her a little less?

2. Also I currently give her the large breed dasuquin chew once a day. Are there be other possible supplements I should consider?
    I haven't ever changed what my oldsters eat, they have always just been fed what the other dogs eat, (from weaning to grave) a good quality all life stages food, amount adjusted to what they need to maintain weight and condition.

I was given some samples and then a big bag of the new Purina Pro Plan Bright Minds 7+ dog food for my 8 year old. We have been feeding it for a over a month now, and she is playing, running and engaging (with me and the other dogs) in ways she hasn't since her Mast Cell Tumor diagnosis and surgery a year ago this month. It's a tad low in fat for my likes for Labradors at 28/12, but adding a little fat to her diet is not a problem. She also gets to eat a little bit more of this kibble, which she thoroughly enjoys :-) It has DHA, botanicals, choline, and EPAs for good omegas, all supposed to enhance cognitive ability in the seniors.

I have friends on Facebook that started their seniors on just a choline supplement, and are having good results with that, I haven't tried it yet since the Bright Minds food has it. I also started my older girl on a good quality human grade (I take t too) Tumeric supplement twice a day, it's an inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti cancer phytonutrient. She also gets Dasuquin MSM daily, and a probiotic in her dinner. I also spoil her with good treats. <3

Thank you all. After I am close to finishing this bag, I will transition her over to regular food again. I'll look into the other supplements as well and see how she does with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I was given some samples and then a big bag of the new Purina Pro Plan Bright Minds 7+ dog food for my 8 year old. We have been feeding it for a over a month now, and she is playing, running and engaging (with me and the other dogs) in ways she hasn't since her Mast Cell Tumor diagnosis and surgery a year ago this month. It's a tad low in fat for my likes for Labradors at 28/12, but adding a little fat to her diet is not a problem. She also gets to eat a little bit more of this kibble, which she thoroughly enjoys :-) It has DHA, botanicals, choline, and EPAs for good omegas, all supposed to enhance cognitive ability in the seniors.
    I've wondered if the Bright Minds formula did anything, I think JenC said she was feeding one of hers that as well. And maybe windycanyon said she gives her oldsters Cholodin in which I think choline is a main ingredient. I haven't tried either one yet but I'm interested to hear of others' experience with that food or that supplement.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    I've wondered if the Bright Minds formula did anything, I think JenC said she was feeding one of hers that as well. And maybe windycanyon said she gives her oldsters Cholodin in which I think choline is a main ingredient. I haven't tried either one yet but I'm interested to hear of others' experience with that food or that supplement.
    Haven’t tried that food. We did try Mulder on the supplement towards the very end of his life in the hopes it would help with the seizures he was happening (supposedly it can). It was really too late for him - the last seizure had left him mostly paralyzed but I do think that his mind was a little clearer and brighter during the short time we had him on it. Hard to tell though with all that was going on. I sent PopTop the rest of the bottle for Mardi, but I don’t know if it made a difference for her.
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

smartrock (10-26-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    We did a whole bag, didn't make a difference with Grace. She's still a firecracker at her age.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

smartrock (10-26-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    We did a whole bag, didn't make a difference with Grace. She's still a firecracker at her age.
    I am sorry it didn't make a difference for Grace like it did for my girl.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos