Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    House Broken

Broken Vertebrae - Urgent- Need help

I found a cat 2 days ago at night when I took the girls out for last pee before bedtime.
    I don't have time to give all the details I don't want her to be operated if there is no hope.
    Cat can't pee on his own. He has a catheter right now. He refuses to eat. He is on iv fluids. His liver enzymes are bad. He is about 8 months old.
    Most importantly his vertebrae x-rays look like this.

-photo-2-jpg -photo-1-jpg

I will really appreciate if someone (maybe a vet or a neurologist) can give me an idea. Or maybe someone you know who knows this kind of issues.
    Cat is now at the vet clinic having cortisone treatment. Vet sees no possibility for him to heal, to walk again or to pee by himself again. But at the same time he says that he wants to operate him for a very small chance if I give the consent.
    I really don't see any chance here. Don't want to put this poor cat under this probably useless operation. I'm also asking some other vets here but I also want to hear your opinions if you have any.

Tilya had an emergency operation on Sunday and on top of that this happened.

P.S. Barb, I know. Again.

I am not an expert but that looks bad. You can talk to a physical therapist and see if anything could be done without surgery, but I really doubt that in this case Surgery can be successful, however sometimes it requires a second surgery and aggressive physical therapy, you have to keep that in mind if you decide to go that route.
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by capra View Post
    Vet sees no possibility for him to heal, to walk again or to pee by himself again. But at the same time he says that he wants to operate him for a very small chance if I give the consent.
    I really don't see any chance here. Don't want to put this poor cat under this probably useless operation. I'm also asking some other vets here but I also want to hear your opinions if you have any.
    Not an expert either but consider that your own vet thinks there isn't a chance for this cat to heal. Are you planning on keeping this cat after surgery? What kind of quality of life will this cat have if he can't walk or pee on his own? How will that affect you and your family's routine? Are you prepared to take on this cat's needs for the next 14-18 years? If the surgery is unsuccessful (the most likely outcome), how will you feel about making a decision when this cat is no longer in medical distress but requires assistance for mobility & peeing/pooping, when you've begun to form an attachment? Will there be muscle atrophy? If so, what daily therapy will you have to do with this cat?

Whatever you decide, I'm glad you took this cat to your vet. At least he is being cared for and his pain is being managed.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Java For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-27-2016), capra (10-26-2016), Mollysmomma (10-26-2016)

Senior Dog
    Oh no.

All things considered, I would let the kitty die peacefully at the vet's office. Now. My reasoning is as above.

I hope Tilya is doing well after her dental....I'm sure she feels better. (don't beat yourself up about that...even vets aren't right all of the time)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2016)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Java View Post
    Not an expert either but consider that your own vet thinks there isn't a chance for this cat to heal. Are you planning on keeping this cat after surgery? What kind of quality of life will this cat have if he can't walk or pee on his own? How will that affect you and your family's routine? Are you prepared to take on this cat's needs for the next 14-18 years? If the surgery is unsuccessful (the most likely outcome), how will you feel about making a decision when this cat is no longer in medical distress but requires assistance for mobility & peeing/pooping, when you've begun to form an attachment? Will there be muscle atrophy? If so, what daily therapy will you have to do with this cat?

Whatever you decide, I'm glad you took this cat to your vet. At least he is being cared for and his pain is being managed.
    To be honest, when I found this cat I took him to the vet for euthanasia. Because I thought he was already severely damaged. I asked the vet to check him. The result is this. I asked the vet to give him a pain medication. This was an emergency vet, it was 2 am. He said other vets should see him in the morning. I took him home, kept him warm and safe. In the morning I shared his condition on instagram asking for help. There I told my opinion on euthanasia. Because I do not believe a cat might have a happy life under these conditions. Whoever takes care of him, I believe that he will be in pain at least mentally. Since I told my opinion on euthanasia (if he will be in pain constantly) a group of animal activists came and attacked me verbally. First they were nice and I believed that they would help the cat. So I took the cat to the vet they said. Then they said the cat is theirs and I have no rights on him, I tried to kill him, I'm cruel, I'm brutal and lots of other so very harsh words.
    I said I will not let this cat to live in pain. No matter what. They said the cat belongs to them and I cannot do anything. They will never ever let him die.

This cat is an outdoor cat, stray cat, very young, very active. He is already very unhappy because of this. I know him. I love him. He is one of the cats that I feed everyday. I am the one who will be in pain when this cat dies. Not them. But for me pain is worse than death. He doesn't eat for 2 days. He is depressed. He can't move, he can't feel half of his body, he can't pee.

Normally, I can't help this cat both mentally and financially. It was the easiest thing for me to left him to them and go home.
    But something inside me said that you should take this cat from them.
    I called the authorities to learn my rights about this cat. They said the cat is mine, since I found him, I took him to the vet and I have my name as owner on the vet forms, then the cat is mine. I called the vet. He said that he cannot do anything to him without my consent. But this group of people attacked me again.
    In the end, the cat is mine. They had to accept this.
    I will do what is best for him.
    If I believe that paralyzed cats might have a happy life and if I can find him a good home, then ok, I'll go that way. Because I can't take a good care of him. My hands are full.
    Otherwise... I prefer to cry for him and he will be pain free.

Poor kitty! So glad you found it because without your help it would still be out in the weather suffering extreme pain.

The x-ray does not look good at all. With no ability to pee, no movement in the back legs, it is most likely paralyzed with the nerves permanently damaged.

There are always those who will disagree with your decision. What you do MUST be based on what is best for the cat, not what some idiot says. I say idiot because they are not in your position and don't know the true condition of the cat.

So sorry you are faced with this devastating decision. What you decide will be out of love and the best for the cat. I support you wholeheartedly in whatever your choose.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2016)

I would gently help this kitty over the bridge. I am so sorry.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2016), Mollysmomma (10-26-2016)

Senior Dog
    I'm glad you stood up for him and were able to establish yourself as his guardian. It sounds as if the activists may have lost sight of compassion in their fight to ensure animal rights.

Fear and pain always drive my decision. It's not fair to animals to make them suffer unnecessarily. Your kitty has so much going against him...but he's lucky to have you to looking out for his (!) best interests.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

capra (10-26-2016)

What an ordeal. Who is going to take in a paralysed cat, of this group of acitivists, that will likely need such close monitoring and frequent, invasive maybe, care? When there are so many healthy, mobile strays to be had? It would be so hard but I think I would spare him a life of misery and ensure a peaceful and kind death. I gave permission to euthanize a lovely stray we fed all summer, trapped, neutered and then before a week was out found out he had wet FIP and was already showing signs of it. It was hard. I don't regret it but the OH still says we killed him.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

I would do what you feel in your heart is the kindest thing for this kitty. You have shown yourself here to be a very kind and caring pet owner and guardian. If you do what you believe is the best course for this small soul, that will be your best choice and one you will look back on with less regret.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Annette47 (10-27-2016), capra (10-26-2016)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos