• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,330
      Thanked: 1560

      Forty degrees in three days!

      I don't know whether or not to plant! We're going from 40 to 80 F in three days and it's staying there for another three days. Just weird. Then it goes to the 50's so that's good, right? I think I'll put some seedling out there and see how it goes. Just weird weather.

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,181
      Thanked: 3489
      Yeah, it's -1.3C (~30F) here and we had snow overnight. Not enough to ski on but everything is completely covered in white. Next week it's supposed to be +23C (~72F)

    3. #3
      Senior Dog
      Bemused
       
      Blackboy98's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, Mo.
      Posts
      2,066
      Thanked: 1319
      Ground temp. is very cold yet!! Just stick your finger 2" in the ground and it will tell you. Cold ground temps. stunt root growth causing delayed plant growth.

      I always wait until Mother's Day, Much safer.
      Hidden Content

      CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

      Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

    4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blackboy98 For This Useful Post:

      janedoe (04-07-2017)

    5. #4
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,181
      Thanked: 3489
      Darn it all to heck, could so have skiied. Easily my minimum of 10 cm on the bush trails we walked this morning. Just not on my deck railing where I looked first.

    6. #5
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      POPTOP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      10,170
      Thanked: 6081
      After living in the south, it's so hard this time of year to wait and wait and wait.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

    7. #6
      Senior Dog
      Scoutpout's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Tri Cities Ontario
      Posts
      2,293
      Thanked: 1108
      well it was ski-able here 1st thing - not any longer though.... and tomorrow is supposed to be 12 or 13C....so weird!
      Hidden Content Hidden Content
      Scout CD RAE6 WC March 6, 2007; Tullemore Browning Superposed PCD RN RI "Trigger" Nov 11, 2016
      Missing:
      Castelleja's Dual Mags "Mags" March 1993 - March 2008
      "Pocco" the chocolate wonder August 1993 - December 2007

    8. #7
      Best Friend Retriever
      Kleb's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      463
      Thanked: 297
      I planted some cold tolerant seeds(several varieties of lettuce, radishes, beets, arugula and spinach) at the beginning of March, when we had a warm spell. Everything was planted in a raised bed with a mini-hoop tunnel to protect them and help raise the temperature inside it on those sunny days. Today the outside temperature is 8C (46F) inside the hoop tunnel it was 39C (102F) I've opened up one end and now it's down to 24C (75F). Most seeds have germinated, except for some seeds that were three, or four years old. Two years ago at Christmas I was able to serve a fresh salad from our garden using the mini tunnel.



      Hidden Content
      I'm in
      the zone!

    9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kleb For This Useful Post:

      janedoe (04-07-2017)

    10. #8
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,330
      Thanked: 1560
      Quote Originally Posted by Kleb View Post
      I planted some cold tolerant seeds(several varieties of lettuce, radishes, beets, arugula and spinach) at the beginning of March, when we had a warm spell. Everything was planted in a raised bed with a mini-hoop tunnel to protect them and help raise the temperature inside it on those sunny days. Today the outside temperature is 8C (46F) inside the hoop tunnel it was 39C (102F) I've opened up one end and now it's down to 24C (75F). Most seeds have germinated, except for some seeds that were three, or four years old. Two years ago at Christmas I was able to serve a fresh salad from our garden using the mini tunnel.
      I picked up mini hoop tunnels on super sale last season and have some collard, kale and swiss chard seedlings. I didn't realize it got so warm in there! I'll give it a shot and put up the tunnels if we hit a big dip.

    11. #9
      Best Friend Retriever
      Kleb's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Here and there
      Posts
      463
      Thanked: 297
      Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
      I picked up mini hoop tunnels on super sale last season and have some collard, kale and swiss chard seedlings. I didn't realize it got so warm in there! I'll give it a shot and put up the tunnels if we hit a big dip.
      I think kale and Swiss chard would be fine. No experience with collards.
      We have some kale that survived our milder than normal winter with a bit of straw cover.
      Our hoop tunnel is pvc pipe with vapour barrier clipped on it, held down at the edges with some brick. Not fancy, but it works.

    12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kleb For This Useful Post:

      janedoe (04-07-2017)

    13. #10
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,330
      Thanked: 1560
      Quote Originally Posted by Kleb View Post
      I think kale and Swiss chard would be fine. No experience with collards.
      We have some kale that survived our milder than normal winter with a bit of straw cover.
      Our hoop tunnel is pvc pipe with vapour barrier clipped on it, held down at the edges with some brick. Not fancy, but it works.
      Collards and kale are very similar in terms of their cold tolerance and they're supposed to taste better when they've been through a frost. I can't stand either out of the grocery store because they are so tough. "Baby" collard leaves are really good though and you don't have to cook them for hours. I harvest them by the leaf.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •