• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Senior Dog
      Happy

Changing taste buds.

I have finally phased out refined sugar from my diet. It took a few months. Fruit tastes sweeter now and I had read that. What's odd though is that food also tastes saltier to me. Some of it is almost inedible. Things just taste different.

Has anyone else gone off of refined sugar and experienced this?

Senior Dog
      I have not cut out refined sugar but I am on a relatively low carb diet due to some health issues. Due to some of the meds I'm on I upped my water intake and cut soda. I don't know if it's the meds or the diet, but food tastes less flavorful and kind of dull to me. Soda, if I do drink it, almost tastes flat. I find myself adding salt when I never did before. It's like my taste buds aren't working like they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meeps83 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-28-2017)

Senior Dog
      Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
      I have not cut out refined sugar but I am on a relatively low carb diet due to some health issues. Due to some of the meds I'm on I upped my water intake and cut soda. I don't know if it's the meds or the diet, but food tastes less flavorful and kind of dull to me. Soda, if I do drink it, almost tastes flat. I find myself adding salt when I never did before. It's like my taste buds aren't working like they used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I had read that about certain meds in my searches. That's not fun.

Senior Dog
      OH is cutting back on sugar, I'll ask him. His nickname for me is Sugar but I really don't eat a lot of it, except in coffee. I am putting pepper on food now. Used to be I couldn't stand it. I've read taste buds fail as we age so I guess that's why.
      Hidden Content

Oh boy. A stick in the SNOW! Hidden Content

Best Friend Retriever
      I've cut down on sugar and it feels like everything I eat at restaurants is way over salted now. At home I cook with very little salt and don't feel like everything is too salty so I just thought the cooks were heavy handed at the restaurants. Maybe reducing sugar is impacting my taste buds.

Senior Dog
      Happy

Years ago after some surgery my doctor put me on a no refined sugar, no refined flour, no caffeine diet. Drastically reduced sugar intake, cut back on refined flour but cannot drink caffeine free tea, it's horrible. I'm not a coffee drinker but don't stand between me and my cup of tea in the morning.

With the changes, a lot of stuff tastes too sweet to me. And yes, saltier. I add extremely little salt to my cooking.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos