• Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat.

Senior Dog

Heat.

Summertime heat has truly, finally, set in. On several days last week the humidex (heat index) ranged into the upper 30s, sometimes touching 40 (that's upper 90s F to about 104F for non-metric speakers). Faye was camping with friends (it was cooler there!) so Achilles and Fitzi were home on their own all day. I broke down and put the a/c in the living room window.

After a bit of relief early this week we're back to more of the same. I try to spend a bit of time each evening outside, either doing a bit of yard work or sitting on our shady deck. Then I have come inside and (at least like to think I) better appreciate the coolness. It's set at 77F and although that might seem warm it feels good after spending time outside. We are forecast to get some relief Monday or Tuesday, then the heat and humidity returns. Rain's likely tomorrow; it would be good to get the rain barrels refilled.

How goes your summer weather?
      Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

Senior Dog
      Our temps are about the same. We have our air conditioning on but set it to 78 degrees during the day and 76 when the sun goes down. Lark goes out in the yard and lounges around but we don't walk until after dark. Even after dark it has been in the mid to upper 70s so around the block is about as far as we go. It keeps threatening to rain but so far, nothing. We had a nice lightning and thunderstorm the other night, that I think Sundance mentioned, but the 15 seconds of rain that accompanied it didn't leave much of a trace.

Senior Dog
      We've just had three days in a row of no significant rain. For this summer that's a first. It's the wettest spring/summer on record so far. When it doesn't rain it's unbearably humid. I am not having to water anything except the planters sheltered under the eves of the house. But that also means reduced sun. I'm not going the get the bumper crop of tomatoes I had last summer. Partly because the only place for me to rotate them to was back where it is shadier. ONe whole row doesn't even have any flowers on it yet. The perennial flowers though, they have been GREAT.

Oh, the mosquitoes are horrible. They are biting me crazy and they usually don't much like me.
      Hidden Content

Oh boy. A stick in the SNOW! Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      We actually ended up getting about an inch of rain...two days ago?...so I'm feeling better about the plants. (I hate to start using the sprinklers.)

The heat has been miserable. Dan has refused walks a few mornings lately but he's game for short walks in the afternoon (when it's hotter....what a perverse little creature). I've kept the house at 72 in the summer months for years. This year it's set to 71 for Dan's sake. He had his annual physical yesterday and all the hands-on stuff checks out....bloodwork and x-rays (baseline for his senior years) should be reported on on Tuesday (when the vet comes back from being away in upstate NY). I've told the vet for years now that Dan's getting worse and worse, reacting to heat....and the vet says it's just Dan being normal. (Hah...his mother is Sunnie....just how normal does the vet think he can be??? )

Anyway, I hate the heat more and more as I age so I suppose I'm "normal" too.
      Hidden Content

Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

Senior Dog
      Happy

It has been so hot and humid here. Our tree guy came to clear an area for us yesterday and I kept an eye on him just in case he passed out. That's a lot of exertion for this kind of weather. Chickens and goats adapted quite nicely though so that's good. I don't have to worry about them, just keep the water coming.

The past two weeks have been thoroughly miserable, temps mid to high 90's with humidity to match. It's had a real impact on our field training, as we've done almost nothing but one day with the group. It was still 90 when I took Brooks out at 8:15 tonight. Miserable.

Senior Dog
      Happy

It's amazing to me how much out weather is the same. It's been miserable, hot, humid and tons of rain. So much flooding around the area. Hopefully by Mon or Tues it will ease up. Archie's not particularly fond of long walks in this heat.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

Best Friend Retriever
      Oh, please tell me it isn't going to be so hot the weekend of Aug 12th--we have to go to Calgary for a wedding reception over that weekend, & I always worry about the dogs. We have our motorhome with AC, but I always fear that it will go out while we're away or something......that happened to my mother-in-law one time when they went to Las Vegas, & she almost lost her dogs.......

Senior Dog
      smartrock, we walk first thing before I go to work. It's a short stroll, more to encourage them to pee and poop than for real exercise.

Snowshoe, the humidity is awful. Sometimes folks say 'But you must miss Texas, it was a dry heat right?' Um, no. It wasn't. The Long Keeper tomatoes seem to be pretty happy; we may be able to harvest in 10 days or so.

SunDance, I hope we get some rain tonight. Though we still have a fair amount of water in the rain barrels it would be good to have them full. Looking forward to Dan's good news this Tuesday.

janedoe, it seems chickens and goats are pretty adaptable. My co-worker keeps their goats and chickens watered and they are fine.

barry581, yup it's miserable time of year that we endure. We are continuing to work on his sit-stay at a door or gate until the 'OK!' is given.

Fran, several of the systems that have smacked your area slid south of us. I hope tonight's system swings through our area.

Senior Dog
      I'm very close to the mountains so we usually don't get hot for long, but July is always pretty hot. Yesterday it was still 93 at 7 pm. Ugh.

It's currently 9:30 am and 82, so I think we'll be enjoying the AC again today.

Right now they are predicting things will cool by late next week, but my area is notorious for being difficult to forecast. The mountain ranges do unpredictable things to the fronts.
      Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
      Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
      Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos