• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 11
    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,026
      Thanked: 1449

      How's your sense of smell?

      Certain smells bug me to no end. My husband on the other hand is bothered by very little. I alerted him to a bad smell in the basement today and asked him to check to traps. Nothing. I asked if he could smell that. Nope. Broccoli that's on the verge nauseates me. He just eats it. We once lost a sweet potato in the truck. Well, we found out that's what it was when we finally found it but in the meantime apparently I was the crazy one and had to drive with the windows down. The only thing that seems to bother him is cat urine.

      I brought this up and was told by my husband, "I am to you what I was to Argos." Argos was our best nose work dog.

      Where are you on the scent spectrum?

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      SunDance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      3,740
      Thanked: 1938
      My nose works overtime....I'm like you.

      Bob's nose is pretty much worthless.
      Hidden Content

      Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

      Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

      Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

    3. #3
      Senior Dog
      Jeff's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      1,594
      Thanked: 1939
      My nose is super sensitive. The biggest thing that bothers me is perfume, why some women wear so much of it is beyond me. I can understand smelling nice, but if I can smell you from across the room it is too strong. If I can smell you from 2 ft away it is too strong. I was at a nice place the other day for lunch and some women came in, the perfume smell was so strong I couldn't taste my lunch. I asked for it to go and went and ate in the truck in the parking lot. The worst is there is this musk perfume. I do not know the name but me and other guys have all confirmed, to guys it smells like vomit, to women is smells like a nice musk. Seriously the smell is strongly of someone just vomited and they just put sawdust over it to soak it up. It is super strong too. I have never figured out what perfume it is, I mean how to come up to a total strange lady and say excuse me what is that perfume you are wearing it smells like vomit.

      Oh and yes there are guys out there that wear too much cologne but that is rarer. I have the same problem with them but like I said it is super rare at least here where I am at to find guys like that.

    4. #4
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      3,904
      Thanked: 2387
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
      I have never figured out what perfume it is, I mean how to come up to a total strange lady and say excuse me what is that perfume you are wearing it smells like vomit.
      Oh Jeff, you could just ask what perfume she's wearing, you'd like to get some for a friend. Admittedly, it's not the truth, but you wouldn't have to add the "smells like vomit" to your query! You'd only buy it for an enemy you hoped to never see again, but at least you'd know what scent not to buy your sister for Christmas!

      I'd say my sense of smell is about average, I can tell when one of the glue traps has a former field mouse residing upon it. My mother is a super sniffer and was always driving us crazy trying to track down smells. Heaven forbid we eat a pizza with garlic on it. Incidentally, how do those of you with powerful sniffers feel about eating cilantro? I'm just wondering, my mother despises it so I'm wondering if there's any connection.

    5. #5
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      5,718
      Thanked: 3238
      Why did I read this while I'm eating lunch? Yuck.

      Oban and I met a nice man on his bicycle a few days ago. I probably know every twist of the trail he took by the lingering smell of his bug dope. I have noticed a few times that a trail smells strongly of some perfume. So strong, with no other person in sight, that I'm glad we never met the wearer.

    6. #6
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,026
      Thanked: 1449
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post

      I'd say my sense of smell is about average, I can tell when one of the glue traps has a former field mouse residing upon it. My mother is a super sniffer and was always driving us crazy trying to track down smells. Heaven forbid we eat a pizza with garlic on it. Incidentally, how do those of you with powerful sniffers feel about eating cilantro? I'm just wondering, my mother despises it so I'm wondering if there's any connection.
      I like cilantro and make a swiss chard soup that uses an entire big bunch of it. I know that a lot of people think it tastes like soap though.

    7. #7
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,026
      Thanked: 1449
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
      My nose is super sensitive. The biggest thing that bothers me is perfume, why some women wear so much of it is beyond me. I can understand smelling nice, but if I can smell you from across the room it is too strong. If I can smell you from 2 ft away it is too strong. I was at a nice place the other day for lunch and some women came in, the perfume smell was so strong I couldn't taste my lunch. I asked for it to go and went and ate in the truck in the parking lot. The worst is there is this musk perfume. I do not know the name but me and other guys have all confirmed, to guys it smells like vomit, to women is smells like a nice musk. Seriously the smell is strongly of someone just vomited and they just put sawdust over it to soak it up. It is super strong too. I have never figured out what perfume it is, I mean how to come up to a total strange lady and say excuse me what is that perfume you are wearing it smells like vomit.

      Oh and yes there are guys out there that wear too much cologne but that is rarer. I have the same problem with them but like I said it is super rare at least here where I am at to find guys like that.
      This is one of the reasons we don't go to the movies anymore. I'm deathly allergic to perfume and have to be able to get away from it. The worst is when it's the server at the restaurant.

    8. #8
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      POPTOP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      9,724
      Thanked: 5695
      I'm super sensitive to the smell of natural gas, the type for the stove, not DH (but I'm sensitive to that too, LOL).

      To me some of the worse are a decaying onion or potato. The one in your truck would have driven me crazy.

      I don't wear perfume. Everything I've tried "turns" on me. Perfumes can change their aroma when applied to skin and I've just never found one that did not drive me crazy.

      And why, oh why, is every cleanser, cosmetic, cream all have a different scent! The result of washing hair, using a body wash, applying scant makeup and body cream, it's a cornucopia of stink. If someone developed an entire line of products, Ode de Nothing Smell, I'd be first in line to get it.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

    9. #9
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      5,718
      Thanked: 3238
      Sometimes scent is added to products because they'd smell bad without it. I bought some unscented Spectrogel (sp?) for face washing once and could not stand the smell of it.

    10. #10
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,026
      Thanked: 1449
      Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
      I'm super sensitive to the smell of natural gas, the type for the stove, not DH (but I'm sensitive to that too, LOL).

      To me some of the worse are a decaying onion or potato. The one in your truck would have driven me crazy.

      I don't wear perfume. Everything I've tried "turns" on me. Perfumes can change their aroma when applied to skin and I've just never found one that did not drive me crazy.

      And why, oh why, is every cleanser, cosmetic, cream all have a different scent! The result of washing hair, using a body wash, applying scant makeup and body cream, it's a cornucopia of stink. If someone developed an entire line of products, Ode de Nothing Smell, I'd be first in line to get it.
      There actually are products out there. If I use a skin product with fragrance in it, I get very painful psoriasis. I once had to throw out all of my underwear because Tide changed their formula and I couldn't get it out of the cloth. Very violent reaction in a very personal area. It was inspiring. Fragrance stays in cloth and goes through cleaning gloves. I make all of my own cleaning products. When I see that Gain commercial where the guy from Modern Family smells the scarf and exclaims, "What?! She washed this weeks ago!" I kind of feel like throwing up.

      These are my tried and trues:

      Ivory soap
      Suave daily clarifying shampoo
      Curel fragrance free hand lotion
      All free and clear detergent
      Arm and Hammer fragrance free deodorant
      Clinique face soap and daily moisturizer

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •