• Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Senior Dog

Project FeederWatch

This is the tenth season I've participated in this citizen science project, intended to collect data about birds that visit feeding stations during the winter season. It's the eighth season I've reported data about this site - our backyard. Last weekend was the kickoff weekend, which was chilly and blustery.

There were many, many goldfinches and House Sparrows, fewer House Finches, a lone junco as well as a solitary cardinal, nuthatch, and Downy Woodpecker. It will be an interesting season and doing this always helps brightens, and adds purpose to, getting through winter.

Sometimes - rarely - I can snap a decent photo of a bird, like this one of a Common Grackle patrolling the yard.

I invite you to visit Project FeederWatch to learn more about it, and to join if you are interested.
      Andrew, Faye, Achilles, and Fitzi

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, and now Stella

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life -- the sick, the needy and the handicapped. -Hubert Horatio Humphrey, US Vice President (1911-1978)

"Sorry"
      Tired

Awesome stuff. I have become kind of bird observer myself.

My neighbour and her granddaughter put out peanuts all summer and it's been a wild kingdom show in the back yard this summer and fall.

We have had tons of Blue Jays come back. They were here years ago but have returned. It's always nice to get up and watch a Blue Jay and squirrel joust over peanuts. We have a woodpecker that moved in and a few Orioles as well.

Two years ago there was a giant hawk that was feeding in the area but we have not seen him for awhile.
      Thanks Everyone!!

Senior Dog
      Happy

So wish we could keep a feeder out but not with the skunks around. Enjoy seeing your pictures and hearing the reports.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

Senior Dog
      Woody, we've had a Sharp-shinned Hawk visit our backyard. It's not a big hawk, preys on songbirds and small mammals. When you feed the birds, sometimes you feed the birds.

Fran, thank you. We're fortunate to not have skunks. We do have squirrels aplenty so I'm forced to use squirrel-proof feeders, which close up when a squirrel tries to hang on and gobble all the seed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos