• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Results 1 to 9 of 9
    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,275
      Thanked: 1543

      What equipment would you use?

      I want to dig a rectangle in a hay field 1 foot deep, 10 feet long and 3 feet wide. The idea is to get all of the hay out, roots and all. This has been a huge problem since I started gardening down there. I have an 18" heavy duty tiller and a lightweight 9" tiller. My local Home Depot also has a trencher for rent for a reasonable price for a day. There's also a sod cutter for rent. I have never used either of these. It's not worth it to me to rent a Bobcat.

      What would you use? Any of these things? All of them? Something else?

      Thank you.

    2. #2
      Senior Dog
      SunDance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      4,223
      Thanked: 2219
      Well....

      I'd eliminate the lightweight tiller and the sod cutter and the trencher. That leaves the heavyduty tiller....which was my first thought anyway.
      Hidden Content

      Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

      Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

      Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

    3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

      janedoe (02-19-2018)

    4. #3
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,275
      Thanked: 1543
      Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
      Well....

      I'd eliminate the lightweight tiller and the sod cutter and the trencher. That leaves the heavyduty tiller....which was my first thought anyway.
      Just keep hitting it over and over then dig it out? I thought that might be the way to go but wanted to make sure there wasn't something that could make it easier.

      This hay is kicking my butt.

    5. #4
      House Broken
      jertom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2015
      Location
      northern ohio
      Posts
      149
      Thanked: 53
      Got any neighbors that own a backhoe and would do you a favor? Small job for that.

    6. The Following User Says Thank You to jertom For This Useful Post:

      janedoe (02-19-2018)

    7. #5
      Senior Dog
      SunDance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      4,223
      Thanked: 2219
      Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
      Just keep hitting it over and over then dig it out? I thought that might be the way to go but wanted to make sure there wasn't something that could make it easier.

      This hay is kicking my butt.
      Back and forth.

      Are you planning on putting some sort of underground edging in to keep the hay from just taking over again? You want to stop future root spread.

    8. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

      janedoe (02-19-2018)

    9. #6
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,275
      Thanked: 1543
      Quote Originally Posted by jertom View Post
      Got any neighbors that own a backhoe and would do you a favor? Small job for that.
      No. My neighbors are more into recreational equipment. ATVs, dirt bikes, etc. I could definitely rent from a place down the street but it's $300 for the day and I don't know how to operate the thing so there would be a learning curve.

    10. #7
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,275
      Thanked: 1543
      Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
      Back and forth.

      Are you planning on putting some sort of underground edging in to keep the hay from just taking over again? You want to stop future root spread.
      It's going to be a large hugelkultur, bigger than I've done before. I was going to line it with rotting logs. I also have two 4' x 250' chemical free kraft paper rolls for weed suppression that I got on clearance last year so I could put that down first.

    11. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

      SunDance (02-19-2018)

    12. #8
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      POPTOP's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      10,125
      Thanked: 6049
      I would use the big tiller. Couple of passes and dig out the dirt. Couple of more passes, dig out the dirt. Rinse and repeat. Then you're not battling going deep all at once. Can you get ahold of any old tin roofing for the sides. You would have to be very careful about the top, would need to be folded over as it's very sharp. Or bury deep enough that you can use a timber at the very top or some other type of edging. Line the bottom with the kraft paper. The more holes the tin has on the lower side the better so drainage. The upper 4 inches or so would need to be solid to help with root suppression from the hay. Douse the cut edge of the cut well with vinegar to start a kill zone.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

    13. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

      janedoe (02-20-2018)

    14. #9
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,275
      Thanked: 1543
      Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
      I would use the big tiller. Couple of passes and dig out the dirt. Couple of more passes, dig out the dirt. Rinse and repeat. Then you're not battling going deep all at once. Can you get ahold of any old tin roofing for the sides. You would have to be very careful about the top, would need to be folded over as it's very sharp. Or bury deep enough that you can use a timber at the very top or some other type of edging. Line the bottom with the kraft paper. The more holes the tin has on the lower side the better so drainage. The upper 4 inches or so would need to be solid to help with root suppression from the hay. Douse the cut edge of the cut well with vinegar to start a kill zone.
      Great idea with the vinegar! Don't know where I can get tin but will definitely keep an eye out. I have a lot of other random wood materials that I will check into. My husband is pretty hard core about untreated wood and this is his discard pile so that might work.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •