• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 11 to 19 of 19
    1. #11
      Senior Dog
      Jeff's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Posts
      1,797
      Thanked: 2156
      Quote Originally Posted by janedoe View Post
      No but I ordered three yards of flannel online and they sent me one so that's about all that would be good for.
      I expect pictures.

    2. #12
      Senior Dog
      SunDance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      4,652
      Thanked: 2481
      Good grief. I just used the tape measure I keep in my kitchen drawer and noticed the writing on it. This was the tape measure I used in my high school sewing class. It still looks almost new. I graduated in 1968 and this was probably from the first of the three sewing classes I took...so subtract three years.

      These bright yellow cloth tape measures really were made well back then...I wonder if the same can be said about today's versions.

      That's all. I figured maybe someone would find this....what?....amusing?....whatever.
      Hidden Content

      Sunnie: gotcha day 03/08/09; birth unknown but given 07/01/02

      Danny: The Sundance Kid....Sunnie's boy....birth 03/31/09 (in my living room)

      Barb (ID formerly "Baffle")

    3. #13
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      4,599
      Thanked: 2888
      So you have one of those cloth measuring tapes that is easy to roll into a little cylinder but when you unroll it, it lies flat, unlike the rubber or plastic coated ones that roll up but like to stay curled up? Now this is completely off the topic, but I don't have too many things now that I had back before high school graduation, a Barbie doll, a troll doll, and I think my Beatle cards are somewhere. A measuring tape? No, not in a million years!

      The plastic coated ones seem to last pretty well, unless a certain little 3 year old gets hold of her Mom's scissors.

    4. #14
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,489
      Thanked: 3716
      Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
      Good grief. I just used the tape measure I keep in my kitchen drawer and noticed the writing on it. This was the tape measure I used in my high school sewing class. It still looks almost new. I graduated in 1968 and this was probably from the first of the three sewing classes I took...so subtract three years.

      These bright yellow cloth tape measures really were made well back then...I wonder if the same can be said about today's versions.

      That's all. I figured maybe someone would find this....what?....amusing?....whatever.
      Check it with a metal ruler. Those cloth tape measures can shrink. Mine did. Based on measurements I went up a pattern size and then could not figure out why my shirt was so big on me. I guess they can stretch too.

    5. #15
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      4,599
      Thanked: 2888
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      Check it with a metal ruler. Those cloth tape measures can shrink. Mine did. Based on measurements I went up a pattern size and then could not figure out why my shirt was so big on me. I guess they can stretch too.
      And here I thought pattern sizes were shrinking! Surely it's not an issue with moi!

    6. #16
      Senior Dog
      Snowshoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Canada
      Posts
      6,489
      Thanked: 3716
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      And here I thought pattern sizes were shrinking! Surely it's not an issue with moi!
      Have you ever checked what size you sew (in the big four) and what size you buy? Retail sizes are getting bigger and bigger. I still buy a size 10 ready made but now I sew a size 16. I gave a skirt from when I was sewing a 10 to my niece, who thinks she's a size zero in the stores, and she couldn't get into it.
      Last edited by Snowshoe; 12-02-2018 at 09:41 AM.

    7. #17
      Senior Dog
      SunDance's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Ellicott City, MD
      Posts
      4,652
      Thanked: 2481
      Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
      So you have one of those cloth measuring tapes that is easy to roll into a little cylinder but when you unroll it, it lies flat, unlike the rubber or plastic coated ones that roll up but like to stay curled up? Now this is completely off the topic, but I don't have too many things now that I had back before high school graduation, a Barbie doll, a troll doll, and I think my Beatle cards are somewhere. A measuring tape? No, not in a million years!

      The plastic coated ones seem to last pretty well, unless a certain little 3 year old gets hold of her Mom's scissors.
      Yep...the old school bus yellow one. Mine is folded, not rolled. I had no idea anything in this house was that old other than the vanity I use (which was bought for me as part of a set sometime during high school)...and me, of course.

      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      Check it with a metal ruler. Those cloth tape measures can shrink. Mine did. Based on measurements I went up a pattern size and then could not figure out why my shirt was so big on me. I guess they can stretch too.
      My trusty Stanley Powerlock sez 60" = 60". I had no idea they could shrink but this one hasn't. (good to know)

    8. #18
      Senior Dog
      smartrock's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Carolina in my mind..
      Posts
      4,599
      Thanked: 2888
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      Have you ever checked what size you sew (in the big four) and what size you buy? Retail sizes are getting bigger and bigger. I still buy a size 10 ready made but now I sew a size 16. I gave a skirt from when I was sewing a 10 to my niece, who thinks she's a size zero in the stores, and she couldn't get into it.
      I haven't sewn for myself in many years because the sizes were so annoying to figure out. I'm not a skilled enough sewer to attempt more than very minor alterations to patterns or clothes.

    9. #19
      Senior Dog
      Happy
       
      janedoe's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      4,571
      Thanked: 1637
      I don't get the sizes at all. I've made five pair of pants, tweaking each as I go. Looks like I'm a mostly medium on the small side with a large butt. It's so weird that I have a muslin pattern that I keep modifying with notes for each iteration. Good thing flannel on doorbuster is so cheap. Numbered sizes are no better so I'm just looking at hip sizes and making sure I get patterns that are overall big enough so I can cut it down in appropriate places. Can't wait to finally put something together to make myself jeans.

      But, you know, that's one of the reasons I'm so excited about this whole thing. For years I've just been buying off the clearance shelf because nothing fit well anyway so there was no point in spending money.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •