• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      Senior Dog
      Happy

What's with the hooves?

Our goats are biological sisters a little over eight years old. We trim their hooves every three months or so. Louise is good about it but Thelma is a brat and a half. We always start with Thelma so we're fresh.

It's been about two months and I noticed that Thelma was favoring one leg. We went out this afternoon and it was just awful. Her hooves were completely overgrown, uneven and really hard so much so that I thought there was something wrong with the clippers. I tried the file with mixed results. Got far enough to let it go for the moment. Hooked up Louise and she was fine! Just a bit of a trim.

I don't get it. I think I need to bring in the new vet (ours left the practice). We bought a couple more clippers so that we knew they were sharp and we'll try again in a few days but I am just shocked. It never ceases to amaze me how weird things happen with animals.

Senior Dog
      Happy

Perhaps Thelma needs her hooves trimmed more often? My brother has a few goats and he trims the hooves every 3-4 weeks.
      Last edited by lovemylabby; 01-13-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos