• Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Drunk
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 66

    Thread: Cars...

    1. #1
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,368
      Thanked: 1900

      Cars...

      Received the official news about my VW TDI last week. I've decided to go ahead and do the buyback this fall.

      I'm not sure what the logistics are at this point. The cash incentive will come regardless of whether I keep or sell back the car and it'll be the same amount ($7,400), so I imagine I'll get that check in the mail. I'll have to take the car to the dealership to confirm mileage and that it's not totaled (show them my registration, etc.). Then, they'll pay off my loan and pay me the difference. I'll get about $5,000 at that time, which I am assuming will come later.

      Still deciding what vehicle to get next. I know nothing that fits two dogs comfortably will begin to compare gas-mileage wise. Which makes me really sad. I save about $50/month or more in fuel with this car compared to my past vehicles (Subarus). It's a nice car, too. Comfortable, quiet, smooth and so easy to drive. Reminds me a lot of the old Subarus, back when they were actually wagons (except nicer). I tried a new Subaru Outback and sold it after two years because I really just hated driving it. It felt like a Suburban. I wanted a car not a truck!

      My short list is: RAV4 and Honda Pilot. I'm not ready to go 100% mini-van. However, I am also considering buying two cars. One a small (slightly used) car like the small (and well-priced) Lexus which is an nice little car with good gas mileage and then a used older vehicle like the boxier Honda CRV or RAV4 with all but the front seats removed, to haul the dogs around in. But then I've got insurance and maintenance x2. Ugh.

      Logistically, I don't know what to do, either. Do I purchase my new car before the VW goes back? I have one car, so basically I'll either have to get a car right before or right after. Because I don't think I want a brand new car, but don't want a car more than a couple years old, I'll have to jump on whatever I find, so I'll probably need to get the vehicle before turning in my VW.

      This is SUCH a pain!!!

    2. #2
      House Broken
      Bounty's Wife's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Anna, TX
      Posts
      109
      Thanked: 36
      Nope. That isn't how it works. You need to go to http://www.vwsettlement.com and fill in the information and basically stake your claim. They ask a bunch of questions. The cash incentive is included in the final amount...So, for example, my car's value is say $20621.33, and the cash incentive for my vehicle is $7100.00. That is a total value of $27721.33. But, my loan amount that I still owe is $25600.00. That mean s when I give my car back for the buy back, I walk away with $2121.33. That's if I turned my car in today. Now, since they really are not buying back vehicles until this fall (my date is November 1), that means that I will make a couple more payments on the car, and I will put more miles on the car. More miles on the car could possibly mean that my car's value is less, because I will be causing depreciation in mileage as I continue to drive it over the next couple of months. But, my loan amount will go down, and I am basically getting those payments back. When you take your car in to have them buy it back, they will either write you a check for your difference on the spot or they will EFT it to your bank account. That all being said, if you have any questions about all of it because I just confused you, email me at shelbileigh@hotmail.com. My brother and I have this whole thing as figured out as we could possibly get it.

      That being said, because of the number of miles I drive per month, I was going to start losing money back to VW if I kept driving my car after Sept. 1. So, a week ago, I bought a new car. I got a 2016 Ford Fusion Energi, and I love it. It has the nice hefty feel of a German car, but it a plug-in Hybrid so my mileage per gallon will be close to what I was getting in my Jetta TDI. My Jetta is now basically sitting for the next 3 months. I still have full insurance coverage on it because I am going to drive it to the airport for a couple of trips I am taking, but once those are complete, I will park it in my driveway and put the car as storage and comprehensive only.

      My Great Dane fits beautifully in the backseat of the Fusion. It is really so much larger than the Jetta. I was really surprised. I am really happy with my decision at this point. And, really kind of mad at VW in general. It was a pain, and I was so stressed out about all of it. In the end, I got an amazing car for an amazing deal, and I am paying less per month than I paid for my 2015 Jetta.

    3. #3
      Senior Dog
      Bemused
       
      Blackboy98's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      St. Louis, Mo.
      Posts
      1,696
      Thanked: 1082
      My question is if you should decide to keep the VW, will you still be able to get license plates when you get it emissions tested?
      Hidden Content

      CRACKER-My Heart Dog FOREVER 6/10/2005-7/9/2011

      Mike and Gabe--GOTCHA 7/25/2011

    4. #4
      House Broken
      Bounty's Wife's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Anna, TX
      Posts
      109
      Thanked: 36
      That depends. Are you going to keep it and get the "fix" they say is coming, but has not actually been approved? If so, then, yes, you would be able to. If you opt out of everything and keep your car (no buy back or no fix = no cash payment), then that would depend on your state and what they decide to do. Right now, the state of TX does not emissions test any diesel vehicle, so one would assume you could still get tags. But, will states changes their testing requirements? Who knows? It's all a guessing game.

    5. #5
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,368
      Thanked: 1900
      Quote Originally Posted by Bounty's Wife View Post
      Nope. That isn't how it works. You need to go to http://www.vwsettlement.com and fill in the information and basically stake your claim. They ask a bunch of questions. The cash incentive is included in the final amount...So, for example, my car's value is say $20621.33, and the cash incentive for my vehicle is $7100.00. That is a total value of $27721.33. But, my loan amount that I still owe is $25600.00. That mean s when I give my car back for the buy back, I walk away with $2121.33. That's if I turned my car in today. Now, since they really are not buying back vehicles until this fall (my date is November 1), that means that I will make a couple more payments on the car, and I will put more miles on the car. More miles on the car could possibly mean that my car's value is less, because I will be causing depreciation in mileage as I continue to drive it over the next couple of months. But, my loan amount will go down, and I am basically getting those payments back. When you take your car in to have them buy it back, they will either write you a check for your difference on the spot or they will EFT it to your bank account. That all being said, if you have any questions about all of it because I just confused you, email me at shelbileigh@hotmail.com. My brother and I have this whole thing as figured out as we could possibly get it.

      That being said, because of the number of miles I drive per month, I was going to start losing money back to VW if I kept driving my car after Sept. 1. So, a week ago, I bought a new car. I got a 2016 Ford Fusion Energi, and I love it. It has the nice hefty feel of a German car, but it a plug-in Hybrid so my mileage per gallon will be close to what I was getting in my Jetta TDI. My Jetta is now basically sitting for the next 3 months. I still have full insurance coverage on it because I am going to drive it to the airport for a couple of trips I am taking, but once those are complete, I will park it in my driveway and put the car as storage and comprehensive only.

      My Great Dane fits beautifully in the backseat of the Fusion. It is really so much larger than the Jetta. I was really surprised. I am really happy with my decision at this point. And, really kind of mad at VW in general. It was a pain, and I was so stressed out about all of it. In the end, I got an amazing car for an amazing deal, and I am paying less per month than I paid for my 2015 Jetta.
      I did all of that, which is where I got my numbers. I just wasn't sure about how it would all come down, but you seem to have that info, so thank you! Probably something I glossed over when I went through the process earlier this week. I listed my mileage at 30k so they gave me a range. Being that I'm going to be gone for a total of about five weeks between now and then and I have no plans to drive much, I think I'll be OK.

      Unfortunately, I need something larger that I can crate the dogs in and also crate them out of at events. So, a small car won't work for us. I had planned on keeping my VW and when it's paid off, investing in a really good detail, making it a dog-free zone and then buying the dogs a used mini-van or small SUV. I'm pretty po'ed, too.

      Being that it's all over the news and a lot of people are scratching their heads (including me to be honest), here's my buyback/restitution report or whatever for anyone who is curious about how this is working.

      -capture-jpg

    6. #6
      House Broken
      Bounty's Wife's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Anna, TX
      Posts
      109
      Thanked: 36
      It looks like you are doing okay on your buy back amount. Mine sucks. Mostly because I bought my car about 8 weeks before the whole thing came down, and the value of a 2015 is the same whether you bought it in September of 2014 or in July of 2015. Not any compensations made for that difference. I have a friend who is a VW dealer and he was posting and telling everyone that they are all going to make bank on this program and it's going to be awesome for everyone and come in an buy a new VW from me...I was like...ummm...I'm not making bank on this deal. For me, this deal really sucks. I barely make out with a tiny bit over my loan amount, and if I drive much further then I'll end up with virtually nothing. He was like...oh, then you should keep it, get the fix and take the cash. I asked him what fix, and he went on to spout off about how the powers that be at VW said there is a fix in place and it is awesome. I was just shaking my head and told him he was full of it because there is no approved fix and no one really knows if there will be one, and he wants me to believe the VW powers that be again? No thanks...I'l go back to Ford who I was perfectly happy with for years and years and years.

    7. #7
      House Broken
      Bounty's Wife's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Anna, TX
      Posts
      109
      Thanked: 36
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      I did all of that, which is where I got my numbers. I just wasn't sure about how it would all come down, but you seem to have that info, so thank you! Probably something I glossed over when I went through the process earlier this week. I listed my mileage at 30k so they gave me a range. Being that I'm going to be gone for a total of about five weeks between now and then and I have no plans to drive much, I think I'll be OK.

      Unfortunately, I need something larger that I can crate the dogs in and also crate them out of at events. So, a small car won't work for us. I had planned on keeping my VW and when it's paid off, investing in a really good detail, making it a dog-free zone and then buying the dogs a used mini-van or small SUV. I'm pretty po'ed, too.

      Being that it's all over the news and a lot of people are scratching their heads (including me to be honest), here's my buyback/restitution report or whatever for anyone who is curious about how this is working.

      -capture-jpg
      On the glossed over part...there was a document that you could pull up that basically gave a flow chart of how the buy back worked and a second one of how the fix worked.

    8. #8
      Senior Dog
      Labradorks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2014
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      3,368
      Thanked: 1900
      Bounty's Wife, in rereading your first post, do I have to trade the car in on November 1? I will be on vacation through mid-Oct., then come home for a few days, turn around and fly out to the midwest for work, come home for a few days, have a dog training seminar to go to... Unless I start test driving now (with work being slammed and getting ready for vaction!) and know what I am getting and from where, November 1 will be pretty tough for me.

    9. #9
      Senior Dog
      zd262's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      California
      Posts
      878
      Thanked: 475
      I don't know much about the buy back...but just wanted to say that I have a Rav4 and I love it. My dad had a Rav4 that was still in great condition after 10+ years and then he bought another, which has also held up amazingly over the past 6+. Mine is only a year old, but I assume it will also hold up. We put a lot of miles on our Toyotas and they have always stood the test of time, while being an incredibly affordable car compared to other manufacturers. I see the 2016 version everywhere, it seems to be more popular than ever before.
      Hidden Content


      Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

    10. #10
      Moderator
      barry581's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Location
      Dover
      Posts
      5,248
      Thanked: 4698
      Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
      I don't know much about the buy back...but just wanted to say that I have a Rav4 and I love it. My dad had a Rav4 that was still in great condition after 10+ years and then he bought another, which has also held up amazingly over the past 6+. Mine is only a year old, but I assume it will also hold up. We put a lot of miles on our Toyotas and they have always stood the test of time, while being an incredibly affordable car compared to other manufacturers. I see the 2016 version everywhere, it seems to be more popular than ever before.
      I had a 2013 RAV4, which was an ok car. Nothing to rave about, but was good at what it was designed for. When my lease was up I bought a 2015 RAV4, and it's 10 times better than the old one. It's quieter, it has more power, better ride, better gas mileage. I will admit it's a bit small for what I need, but overall it gets the job done.

      I think if I was to really get into the whole dog sport thing, I'd look into a Ford Transit Connect, or maybe the big Ford Transit.

    Quick Reply Quick Reply

     



    Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •