• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
      House Broken
      Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
      My boy started humping blankets and dirty laundry lying on the floor at a mere 9 weeks old. I bought him a big teddy bear, bigger than him at the time, and encouraged him to hump it. He is now 9 years old and has never humped anything other than Poppa Bear, not other dogs, furniture or people's legs. Humping is not as frequent as when he was 7 months but Poppa does still get a workout after a good meal or a good walk. We don't mind him humping and we can hide Poppa if company comes. If you do mind you can still try this method and then fade the big, soft toy.
      This is the same thing Brian does. He will hump a blanket or any clothes that I have on floor sorting laundry. Oh and he especially likes pillows lolol. He use to be bad at it, but as he is getting older it seems to have slowed down a lot. If I saw him doing it, I would just pick up the object of his desire and put it out of his reach. I never yelled, said no, bad dog or anything, just picked it up.
      This worked for him.

As for chewing, well no much advice sorry lol. I have lost many pair of shoes since I've gotten Brian. But this too seems to be letting up some. He won't grab my shoes now unless he is sneaky about it, like if i'm out of the room for a second lolol. With this again I just took the shoe away and gave him a toy. Seems to be working. But good luck to ya, they are so cute lolol.

Real Retriever
      This thread makes me feel better about Boomer's behaviour. He used to hump blankets, pillows, anyone's leg as they walked by. The shelter had recommended a big pillow for him. Never had a dog that humped as often as Boomer. Mostly gone now but he surprised me at first snowfall when we went to the field for fetch. He looked like he was tiring so I snapped the leash back on. That's when he tackled my leg and I did a face-plant in the snow. After that, I'd attach the leash and toss the ball nearby to distract him but if I timed it wrong, same thing would happen again.

I'm so glad this forum exists.

Real Retriever
      Cool

You guys are making me regret getting another male dog. UGH!!! Maybe it's not too late to get a female...

House Broken
      Quote Originally Posted by annkie View Post
      You guys are making me regret getting another male dog. UGH!!! Maybe it's not too late to get a female...
      Why? Female dogs can hump a lot too rotfl. Trust me on this lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pogie For This Useful Post:

Meeps83 (02-20-2017)

Senior Dog
      Bubba has never been a humper unless he is super super over stimulated at the park. I actually don't think that gender plays that much of a role in humping. You're getting a male dog so people with male dogs are speaking up, but I've also heard many people on here talk about their female dogs being big humpers. Your dog might hump, and it might not, but that's going to be more about the individual dog you get and less about you deciding to get a certain gender.
      Hidden Content

Bubba's instagram: @thebubbinator

Real Retriever
      Cool

Quote Originally Posted by zd262 View Post
      Bubba has never been a humper unless he is super super over stimulated at the park. I actually don't think that gender plays that much of a role in humping. You're getting a male dog so people with male dogs are speaking up, but I've also heard many people on here talk about their female dogs being big humpers. Your dog might hump, and it might not, but that's going to be more about the individual dog you get and less about you deciding to get a certain gender.
      Thank you! That made me feel better

Senior Dog
      I’ve had two humpers out of the 6 labs we’ve owned. One male and one female.

Edited to add - neither humped anything but other dogs - no blankets, furniture, etc.
      Last edited by Annette47; 02-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM3) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Five males and one female (four of which were all mine and two were inherited through a relationship). One male humped about five times in his 17+ year lifespan and three humped another dogs' head at one point when they were tiny puppies. Two of my males weren't neutered until they were two. The other two, one male humped his bed in front of the TV if were weren't paying attention to him and the female humped my male, mostly air-humping. My best friend's female boxer is a humper and aggressively humps blankets until she is panting and out of breath. Can't remember much about my foster dogs and humping, so must not have been much of an issue with any of them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos