• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      House Broken

Advice on brushing

I've been trying to brush Forest a couple of days a week and he acts like it is a huge game. He tries to grab the brush and jumps and squirms around. I do have him on the leash when I'm doing this. Any advice on how to get him to better tolerate brushing? I took him to Petco last week for a brushing and nail trim and the groomer politely said he was a real handful lol.

Senior Dog
      It takes time. Mine especially love the rake. I think it relaxes hem and feels good. If you keep at it for just a few seconds at a time and reward him with praise and/or treats eventually he'll learn to like it more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Dog
      Yeah, I combine very short sessions with lots of praise and occasional treats with a firm hand restraining them by the collar so they kind of have to stand somewhat still for it. Eventually they learn what I want from them ...
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Happy

Patience, patience and more patience.

Luckily, all of my seniors have loved being brushed and come running when they see the brush. Heck, when I had Dalmatians they would hassle each other to see who was first in line for being vacuumed.
      Hidden Content
      Kissing Bandit

Chief Pooper Scooper
      By the time they are older, they learn that it's special time with mom/dad. My 9 y/o boys push each other to be the one that gets brushed first.
      Jen & Tickle!
      Hidden Content

House Broken
      Thanks for the advice everyone. I gave him lots of praise for the one or two seconds he managed to stay still lol.

Senior Dog
      Mine still wiggle around for it. They are Labs and it's quick and easy, so I don't mind, and they think it's fun and relaxing. I know people who smear some peanut butter on the fridge at standing height for them to lick off while they brush them and it seems to work if you're looking for the path of least resistance.

House Broken
      Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
      Mine still wiggle around for it. They are Labs and it's quick and easy, so I don't mind, and they think it's fun and relaxing. I know people who smear some peanut butter on the fridge at standing height for them to lick off while they brush them and it seems to work if you're looking for the path of least resistance.
      Great idea thanks!

House Broken
      Well, glad to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. Lol. Chutes does the same thing, sounds like. We've been working with him slowly but surely. Treats have definitely helped, but that's always easier as a two person job.
      Josh & Jenna. Texas.
      Parents of: Farmer's Deschutes Cinder Cone Red "Chutes" the Labrador. (And the cat, Stewie. Hidden Content )

Instagram: @jenfarm_ & @farmer_bram

Hidden Content

House Broken
      Brushing... Or older guy (gone now) hated being brushed his entire life. he would have none of it. He would bite the brush (tried many), bark at me, growl...etc. It was a CF every time. When he was nearly 8 he would kinda tolerate the furminator but not for long. Our pup, he loves it and did since the first time. The furminator was the best one both for their tolerance and getting the hairs off them.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos