• Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
      House Broken

Should I discourage pup from biting his brother?

Hi all,

Kona is 1.5 years and VERY mellow and tolerant. Kai is almost 4 months and rather fearless. Kai bites/chews on Kona a fair amount. Kona will draw the line at some point and check him. Should I discourage Kai from this behavior or will he grow out of it after teething and maturing? Just not sure if I should let the boys be boys or if I should draw a line if it looks too rough? Hope that makes sense.

thanks a bunch!

Senior Dog
      I'd probably redirect without making a big deal. if he is biting at Kona he probably wants to play, and if Kona isn't reciprocating, then it's probably best to give the puppy something better to do. I'd not make it a big deal though, using something like Kikopup's positive interrupter (see her youtube page) to just move the puppy and direct them to something else. Maybe play with them, give them a toy top lay iwth, do some training. I'd generally increase the mental exercise with the puppy. Food should be worked for (training, food toys). lots of short training sessions.

Senior Dog
      I tend to take my cues from the older dog. If they are clearly unhappy with it but unable to effectively tell the puppy off, then I would step in and redirect as Tanya advises. If the older dog doesn’t seem to mind and isn’t trying to check the puppy or get away from them, I let them be. Most of mine have had no problems correcting bad puppy behaviors, although Mulder did need us to help occasionally as Chloe wouldn’t listen to him the way he listened to Scully, LOL.
      Annette

Cookie (Jamrah’s Legally Blonde, BN) 6/4/2015
      Sassy (Jamrah’s Blonde Ambition, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC Windsong’s Femme Fatale, UDX2, OM4) 6/7/2009

Remembering:
      Scully (Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, RN) 4/4/1996 - 6/30/2011
      Our foster Jolie (UCh Windsong’s Genuine Risk, CDX, WC) 5/26/1999 - 3/2/2014
      and Mulder (Coventry’s I Want to Believe, UD, VER, WC, RN) 5/26/1999 - 4/20/2015

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annette47 For This Useful Post:

Tanya (01-25-2018)

Chief Pooper Scooper
      It is a part of play and learning, but you can redirect when you feel it's out of hand.
      Jen
      Jack, Jed, Tickle and Grizz
      Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      We took our cues from the older dog too. My sister's dog never did like other dogs but by his age 16, when we got puppy Oban, he was no longer able to move quickly to avoid sharp puppy teeth. We separated them, it wasn't fair to poor old Laddie to suffer a crazy pup like Oban. But when Oban was 1.5 years old Sis got a new puppy and she was a terrible little brat to Oban, biting him, lunging at him, barking at him. She had Oban going in backwards circles trying to get away from her and we just let Oban suffer. LOL. Oban didn't correct her till she was about one year old.

Best Friend Retriever
      I had the same concern with Samson and Asher. Lucky for me, Samson did a great job of correcting Asher and Asher did a great job and listened to Samson each correction. Don't get me wrong, it took more than one correction from Samson but Asher got the point. I learned a lot about the interaction by watching their body language very close. The little queues in the ears, lips, showing of teeth, tilting of the head to standing sideways. Hope they find the happy medium like my boys did. I was nervous for a while but things completely worked out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SamsonsMom For This Useful Post:

kimbersmom (01-25-2018)

Best Friend Retriever
      In my experience, it’s good to allow Kona to correct Kai. It’s great having a more “mature” dog to show a pup what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. Depending on when and why Kai is doing this, it could mean he is bored or has too much energy that isn’t being spent productively. Training sessions with puppies will tire them out much faster than “play” time in my experience. If Kona is not correcting Kai or doing anything about it/tolerating it, you can step in and correct Kai depending on the behaviours you don’t like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

House Broken
      thanks for all the tips and input. Generally Kona handles it. sometimes he is trying to sleep and then i redirect Kai. seems ok. just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a horrible parent mostly. Kai is settling a touch now that he is almost 4 months. Kona is just super chill.
      -img_3586-jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos