• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Puppy

Angry Calingl all lab puppy experts!

Hi everyone! It's me again! We picked up our little Nala on Friday when she was 8 weeks old. She slept through the night in her crate on Sunday night from 10:45 - 5:45am with NO accidents and no whining. Last night, she slept the same amount time but peed at least 3 times and pooped in her crate! I gave her a small bone with bacon/cheese flavor it when we put her in her crate for the night. Could that have caused it? We are going to get a divider today for the crate so she doesn't have as much room to run around, but just room to sleep/turn around.

She is also biting EVERYTHING. She has tons of toys, so hopefully she will grow out of it. She also keeps peeing in our living room. I took her our yesterday and she peed... 10 min later she peed on the living room floor! She typically tries to do it when no one is watching... So, we are going to get a baby gate to keep her out of that room.... Anyways, I appreciate any tips...

Also - How soon should we start training? I have heard that once the puppy knows their name.. then it's time.

Sincerely,-photo-jpg

One frustrated mama

Best Friend Retriever
      Happy

Unfortunately the biting is only going to get worse. do a search in the puppy section and there are a few threads about it and ways to redirect the behavior.

As far as the peeing and pooping in the crate she needs to be taken out at night. Is the crate in the room? For the first 1-3 weeks we got emma she went to sleep at 8-9. and went potty at 12-2-4 and up at 6. Make sure your pulling her water at least an hour before bedtime. I wouldn't be leaving a bone in there, she still very young and it might upset her tummy.

During the day they need to go out a lot too. After play go potty, wake up a nap go potty, eat go potty, etc... At that age they don't know they have to pee till a few seconds before they go. Also when you take her out, she might go twice to fully empty her bladder since they have very short attention span. she might be peeing and see something that distracts her from peeing. leaving some in her bladder.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to emma_Dad For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (07-29-2014)

Real Retriever
      You are going to get lots of advice on this, so I don't feel too bad keeping my two cents brief.

You are on the right track by making that crate much smaller. I also took bedding out of the crate at that stage because it is absorbant and she might soil on it and then lie in it. Chewing the bedding is also a possibility and she could be injured.

I would be inclined to set my alarm to get up every two hours and take her out. See how it goes and you can gradually increse the amount of time between trips outside.

I'm a big fan of baby gates and tethering. For her safety and your sanity, she should always be where you can see her or be put in her crate. Whether you gate her in the room with you or tether her to you, make sure she is not wandering off and chewing up or soiling in your house.

Last thing. Be sure to use an enzymatic leaner like Nature's Miracle or Petastic wherever she goes. if you don't eliminate the odor, she may keep going back to that place to toilet.
      Last edited by Laura; 07-29-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: I can spell, but I cannot type well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (07-29-2014)

House Broken
      Potty training will get better with due diligence. Be prepared to get a lot less sleep than you're used to. The biting, unfortunately, will get a lot worse before it gets better. Just be patient. It's all worth it!
      Hidden Content
      Charlotte & Levi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to colding For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (07-29-2014)

Puppy
      Thanks everyone. We do pull her food and water at least 2 hours before she goes to bed (around 10:45ish). I am going to take the newspaper out of the crate so she doesn't think she can pee on it. I will also take the bone out and save it for when she is a little older. We will probably put her to bed the same tonight, let her out at 2, then out again at 6 when she wakes up for breakfast. If she still pees in her crate, we will try letting her out more often the next night.

Senior Dog
      As far as when to start training. The moment you bring them home and you never stop. Start with training them to know their name. Get small treats, like zukes training treats. As they are walking around the house, say their name in a happy voice when they look at you or towards you, give them a treat. As pups they might not be able to look you in the eye and first few times you may have to say their name and stick treat by their nose. They are pups and can't see that far yet. If they do not look at you, well then no treat. Wait a few seconds try again. It won't take long when they hear their name they get a treat. Their head with start quickly snapping around.

Now start working on taking the treat gently, pinch treat between fingers. Expect them to bite your fingers. Say ouch, pull treat away, offer treat again, if they lunge and bite ouch and take treat away. When they start to work on the treat from between your finger let them have it. They learn not to bite the fingers. Oh this take a lot of time and patient and tolerance for pain, but it pays off. Twice a week sit on the floor and feed them their meals this way, or as much of the meal as you can take the pain for. Your training them not to gobble and respect the food in your hand.

Start training to sit down to be fed. They can be walking around, but when your ready to set the bowl down with food in it, stand there, when the butt hits the floor start to lower the dish, butt come off the floor, you stand back up. You keep this dance going until you can sit the dish down. After a couple days start adding the word sit, your training sit and training to wait for their meals politely at the same time.

Training starts the very first day. Don't expect shake and down and roll over and things right away, but start with the basics and the behaviors you want them to learn. you do not have to be forceful or anything. Your just teaching them the house rules and manners. Most importantly be consistent. The moment you stop making them sit for meals, they moment they stop sitting for meals and learn they can ignore other commands.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (07-29-2014)

Senior Dog
      Quote Originally Posted by Windyskies View Post
      Hi everyone! It's me again! We picked up our little Nala on Friday when she was 8 weeks old. She slept through the night in her crate on Sunday night from 10:45 - 5:45am with NO accidents and no whining. Last night, she slept the same amount time but peed at least 3 times and pooped in her crate! I gave her a small bone with bacon/cheese flavor it when we put her in her crate for the night. Could that have caused it? We are going to get a divider today for the crate so she doesn't have as much room to run around, but just room to sleep/turn around.

She is also biting EVERYTHING. She has tons of toys, so hopefully she will grow out of it. She also keeps peeing in our living room. I took her our yesterday and she peed... 10 min later she peed on the living room floor! She typically tries to do it when no one is watching... So, we are going to get a baby gate to keep her out of that room.... Anyways, I appreciate any tips...

Also - How soon should we start training? I have heard that once the puppy knows their name.. then it's time.

Sincerely,-photo-jpg

One frustrated mama
      Where is the crate? If it's not in your room you won't be able to hear her crying to go out. Move it into your bedroom. You can also set your alarm to take her out -- just be sure to be all business about it. No playing, etc., otherwise she will start getting you up at night to play. Pick up her water an hour or so before bedtime. Also, no food. She should not need a bone in her crate while she is sleeping. And yes, make the crate smaller and take out all bedding.

Biting is normal. Redirect with the toys.

She should be taken out after playing, sleeping, eating, drinking, and basically about every 10 - 20 minutes, depending on the dog. If she is hiding from you to pee, it might mean that you have been too harsh in correcting her. Never spank, yell, rub their nose it in. If you cannot watch her, she needs to be crated. Otherwise, babygate her in the room with you and watch her like a hawk. Take her out as directed above and when she goes, throw a party, give treats, play, etc. Until she goes, you need to just stand there still as a tree with the dog ON LEASH and say, "go potty, go potty, go potty", until she does it. If she does not potty after about five minutes, bring her in, crate her for ten, then go back out, rinse and repeat. If you catch her going inside, first smack yourself for not taking her out enough or not watching her, then immediately say "outside!", grab her, rush her out, then do the above.

It was time to start training on Friday, when you picked her up. Here are some free books on puppy training to get you started.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (07-29-2014)

Senior Dog
      On the crate sizing - the only times Thor had an accident in his crate were the nights after we expanded it to give him more space. It was a delicate balance since he was growing so fast, we didn't want it to be too tight but we didn't want him to feel like he had enough room to potty either. At the advice of several people including the trainer and the breeder, we gave him *just* enough room to be able to turn around. It almost felt too cramped for him, but if we made it any bigger he'd mess the crate. By the time he was big enough that the divider marked half the crate, his potty training was good enough that we could take the thing out entirely. He's always been happiest sleeping smooshed up against something so he never seemed too uncomfortable with the small space. In fact, right now he is in his crate (with the door open), smooshed up against one end. He'd probably be just as happy with a space 1/3 of the size he has!

Puppy
      Thanks! Did you let him out at night when he was a puppy?

Senior Dog
      think tiny baby puppy bladder, they just cannot hold it for very long at all! plus, they have no clue yet that peeing and pooping is done outside, NOT inside. Thats up to you to show them that. I can pretty much guarantee anyone on the Board who got a 7 week old pup got up in the middle of the night to take the pup out to potty. Once if they were lucky, more like 2 or 3 times. Someone before the Board crashed had a good guideline on how long puppies can "hold it" based on weeks of age (guideline only! some puppies need more frequent potty breaks)

Plan on 2 or more trips outside during the night for the next 3 weeks, then down to 2 trips for the following 2 weeks, then 1 x a night once Pup hits about 13 or 14 weeks. Then just a short night (potty break before bed at 11pm, up for potty by 5:30 or so...) till Pup is about 4 or 5 months old. Then stretch it a bit to 10 or 10:30 until 6 or 6:30am. I sure hope you stocked up on your sleep before bringing your little cutie home!

Training starts the minute you bring Pup home, working as Jeff said on her name, and simple commands like Come, leave it or drop it (really important for a Lab!), Sit and Down. Think of Pup's attention span at this age like her bladder - tiny.

Take lots of pictures. In a year or two you won't believe she was this small, fit in such little spaces, played in that goofy puppy way. In a year or two you'll have the beginnings of the wonderful dog you imagined when you decided to get her. Hang with it, she deserves your best effort, and so do you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (07-29-2014)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos