• Innocent
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Tired
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Puppy

Puppy becoming rowdy in the evenings

I just got my sweet chocolate lab pup, Blue, about a month ago and he's now 3 months old. My husband and I own a house so we're always playing in the back yard, as well as taking him on at least 2 walks a day for at least 30 minutes each. For the past two weeks he has been getting extremely rowdy at night, when he used to be happy to lay on the couch with us and snuggle. Around 8 pm he starts nipping, biting, running around, barking (playfully) and will just not calm down for anything. We call it "gremlin mode" It seems that he gets to a point where he is so tired that he starts fighting it, similar to a child. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for helping him to calm in the evenings? We work hard to wear him out, he has lots of toys, and he is crate trained to sleep there at night. We also work daily on obedience training, which he is picking up VERY well (aside from not biting and nipping) Any ideas or success stories would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all!

Senior Dog
      I think you're a bit over-exercising him so he is just too tired in the evening. I was sticking quite strictly to the 5 minutes rule exercise per month of age (up to twice a day) until Shelby was about 1 year old. According to that rule a 3 months old puppy shouldn't walk longer that 15 minutes (up to twice a day). I wish I knew about that when Barney was a puppy, maybe his joints would be in better condition + he used to be a little crocodile in the evenings for quite a few months.

Real Retriever
      Could be a phase. He's getting older so has more energy. I remember when Archie stopped napping in the evenings and started staying awake from after work til bedtime. It just meant playing tug while watching TV rather than sitting on the couch - stuff like that. Also a great time to do some training to tire out his mind as well
      Laura, Archie & Quinn
      Hidden Content

Senior Dog
      Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by kp1146 View Post
      It seems that he gets to a point where he is so tired that he starts fighting it, similar to a child.
      exactly this. so i would crate him just before the time he does this for a nap (throw in an appropriate chew toy or treat)

Senior Dog
      Happy

Archie, who is 6, has an evening twang. At this moment, he is running through the house, outside, back in and around the house again. It's normal for him.

Not too great on puppy advice. Sounds like you've been given some good information and ideas.

Best Friend Retriever
      Happy

Puppies can get over-stimulated and need calming down and they need us to regulate their activities. Sometimes they need to be reminded it's nap time, just like a child. I'd get him used to his crate or bed, give him a stuffed frozen Kong to chew on and he'll get into the routine!
      Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

Senior Dog
      Over tired. Maverick did this too. He was past tired and just plain cranky. We'd kennel him for a little bit and let him out in an hour or so. It'll pass quickly and then you won't be able to tire him out anymore

Senior Dog
      Kimber was like that. We responded by exercising her more and more and we created, in the words of one vet, "an endurance monster." If we could do it over again, I'd play with her plenty but when she got wound up in the evening, follow the advice above and have her settle down with a frozen kong.
      Miss Kimber, CGC, birthdate 6/15/2005

Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Polly Pipkin (10-21-2014)

Senior Dog
      Its normal, you arent over exercising or doing anything wrong. Hes over tired and being a pain in the butt. Give him something to chew on in his crate. This toddler phase will pass

House Broken
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
      Welcome

exactly this. so i would crate him just before the time he does this for a nap (throw in an appropriate chew toy or treat)
      When Charlie was that age, he used to do the same thing. At about 9 ish he would get a 2nd win...ahhhh. It was a phase for Charlie.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
    Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos