Thread: Purina Pro Plan

Puppy

Purina Pro Plan

We have been feeding our 3 year old female labrador, Amber, Purina Pro Plan Chicken and rice for some time now, but lately she is spitting it out on the floor and taking a long time to eat it. She just doesn't seem interested in it anymore. I'm looking to switch her to something that's not grain free (heard too many negative things) and would appreciate any recommendatons from all of you. She is very food motivated so I seeing her struggle to eat a bowl of her food is not normal.

I feed mine the Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach and Royal Canin Labrador Retriever variety. Mine don't have stomach issues or allergies. I wanted at least 2 proteins that I knew my dogs could eat and 2 brands that I could use in case there were recalls or supply issues with one so I could pivot to the other without worrying if they'd tolerate it. I cook them an egg or give them some salmon or chicken if we're eating it, not a full meal, just a little extra now and then. I don't know what various food makers have done to change their foods since the warnings related to dilated cardiomyopathy came out, but at that time Purina, Royal Canin, Hill's Science Diet, Iams, and Eukanuba were the recommended grain-inclusive brands.

Is it just a new bag that Amber doesn't like or has this been going on for a bit? Some people find that a particular bag of food doesn't appeal to the dog for some reason but a new bag of the same food is OK. Does she eat other stuff OK- treats, chicken and rice, dead vermin? (Sorry, our last girl would literally eat just about anything and a dead critter was not beyond her tastes.) If she's turning her nose up at most any food, I'd probably have a vet give her a once over. If it's just started with the current bag of food, I'd try a different bag. That would be my first suggestion.

Yes Amber is eating other things. I also give her boiled chicken breast for a snack and last night we grilled salmon and she had a small unseasoned piece of it and gobbled it down. I called our vet and they recommended we try either Nutro or Natural Balance. I didn't see your reply until I got back home with a bag of Nutro that I thought I would try.

Sure, I'd go with a vet's recommendation, too. The grain-free foods that were problematic seemed to use a lot of peas, lentils, chickpeas, potatoes, as sources of protein and vilified the presence of grains in the dog food. I'm still not clear whether they've determined the culprit- lack of grains, substitution of peas and potatoes for meat-based protein sources, I haven't looked at the information recently. But, the ingredients in Nutro don't include peas and potatoes, and it does have chicken and chicken meal, AND your vet said give it a try. So, I'd give it a try. I hope it works out for you and Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Sure, I'd go with a vet's recommendation, too. The grain-free foods that were problematic seemed to use a lot of peas, lentils, chickpeas, potatoes, as sources of protein and vilified the presence of grains in the dog food. I'm still not clear whether they've determined the culprit- lack of grains, substitution of peas and potatoes for meat-based protein sources, I haven't looked at the information recently. But, the ingredients in Nutro don't include peas and potatoes, and it does have chicken and chicken meal, AND your vet said give it a try. So, I'd give it a try. I hope it works out for you and Amber.
    She ate this morning with the normal gusto a lab usually have. My only concern is the difference in protein. Nutro is 20 and Pro Plan was 26. Not sure if that's good or bad.

There's a woman whose blog, The Science Dog, I follow who is a canine nutritionist. She recently wrote a book called Feeding Smart with The Science Dog. I've read most of it. The minimum protein level approved for adult dogs by the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officers) that most foods meet is 18%. I've seen foods with protein levels in the 40%+ range. I tried to cut and paste a quote from her book but maybe this site isn't letting me. Anyway, in her book she recommends aiming for 22-28% protein in your dog's food.

So, the Nutro might be a little low, although it meets AAFCO standards for adult dogs (not puppies). I'd probably try something with a little higher protein level for her next bag. You could give her a couple of scrambled eggs per week or some canned salmon or cooked chicken if you wanted in the meantime. The vet may not be familiar with the nutrition levels of all foods or as long as it meets minimum AAFCO levels may be OK with that. One of my sisters feeds all her dogs Pedigree dog food that is about 21% protein and all her dogs have outlived all my dogs, so sometimes I wonder why I worry about what I'm feeding.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SoapySophie (03-09-2022)

I'll see if this will post now. Here's one of her summary quotes on protein from the Feeding Smart book:

"For adult dogs, select a food that includes high quality protein sources and between 22 and 28 percent protein (dry matter basis). Avoid feeding foods that contain poor quality protein sources and an excessively high proportion of dietary protein."

Case, Linda. Feeding Smart with The Science Dog (p. 88). Kindle Edition.

Here's her website: https://thesciencedog.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Amelia (03-09-2022)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos