Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Salmon treats

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenwood, Delaware
    Posts
    7,352
    Thanked: 7151

    Salmon treats

    Over the past year I've been bringing home salmon skin and scraps from the restaurant, and feeding them raw to the dogs to supplement their kibble. Bruce's passing left me with way more than I needed, so I figured I'd use the skin to make training treats.

    If you have access to salmon skin (check local restaurants) you can cut the skin into half inch squares. Heat oven to 220. Spray large baking pan with Pam Olive Oil Spray. Arrange the pieces skin side down on the baking sheet. Place in over and cook until crisp, usually about 2 hours.

    I let the salmon cool on the baking pan. I them remove the pieces on to paper towels to soak up some of the oil. Place in fridge and use for training treats. I do keep a paper towel with me when I'm using them, as they can be a bit oily, bu that's why the dogs love them!!!!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

    Sandra (12-28-2015)

  3. #2
    Senior Dog smartrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Carolina in my mind..
    Posts
    6,396
    Thanked: 4182
    Hey, thanks! When I bake salmon in the oven, I generally take the fish off its skin as I'm serving it, leaving the skin behind on the baking sheet (that I line with aluminum foil). I wonder if I could just put the skin back into the oven to dry out if I haven't gotten too carried away with seasoning what we're eating. I'd have to break it up after it has dried out. If I think to try that, I'll report back. My dogs would love that, I'm sure.

    Don't you hate it when you read the reviews of a recipe and the reviewer has not made the actual recipe but changed half the ingredients or techniques and then said theirs was so delicious? I'm not trying to do that, just thinking maybe the skin I leave behind anyway might kind of morph into what you've described. I haven't tried feeding them raw salmon.

  4. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenwood, Delaware
    Posts
    7,352
    Thanked: 7151
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Hey, thanks! When I bake salmon in the oven, I generally take the fish off its skin as I'm serving it, leaving the skin behind on the baking sheet (that I line with aluminum foil). I wonder if I could just put the skin back into the oven to dry out if I haven't gotten too carried away with seasoning what we're eating. I'd have to break it up after it has dried out. If I think to try that, I'll report back. My dogs would love that, I'm sure.

    Don't you hate it when you read the reviews of a recipe and the reviewer has not made the actual recipe but changed half the ingredients or techniques and then said theirs was so delicious? I'm not trying to do that, just thinking maybe the skin I leave behind anyway might kind of morph into what you've described. I haven't tried feeding them raw salmon.
    You can skin it before you put it on, then cook the skin separate. If not, then just pull it off the foil and back in the oven at low temp. After a few tries, I found cutting the skin into pieces before I cook it made things much much easier, and it was much crispier without burning. I also found that putting all the pieces in a bowl lined with a paper towel helps keep it crispy in the fridge. It's still going to be a bit wet a greasy when you use it, but I just take a paper towel with me when I use it to wipe my fingers.

  5. #4
    Senior Dog Maxx&Emma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    SE, PA
    Posts
    4,406
    Thanked: 1992
    I am curious, will a restaurant sell the salmon skin or scraps? I would love to try this!
    Hidden Content

    Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

    Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

  6. #5
    Chief Pooper Scooper JenC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,598
    Thanked: 2588
    That's a good idea. Dave brings home bison scraps from his work, and we just sautee them up with some olive oil and use that as a topper to their kibble. Sure spoils the dogs...

  7. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Greenwood, Delaware
    Posts
    7,352
    Thanked: 7151
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I am curious, will a restaurant sell the salmon skin or scraps? I would love to try this!
    Not sure. Until about 4 months ago, we just threw the skin in the trash, and freeze the scraps for fish chowder. Even with what I've been taking, the restaurant still has a giant bin of frozen salmon scraps. I get 9 or 10 skins and scraps per week, and it's way more than I can use with just Sophie. We also have a sister restaurant next door that goes through more salmon than we do, so I could potentially have about 25 large skins per week. One skin weighs about 8 oz. When Bruce was here I'd cut up the skin and add it to the scraps, and give each dog 4 oz per day. Now I make the skins into treats, and portion the scraps, giving Sophie 2 oz per meal. I still have about 10 pounds of scraps in my freezer. It's a bad problem to have!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

    Maxx&Emma (12-30-2015)

  9. #7
    Senior Dog Abulafia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    1,111
    Thanked: 685
    We eat a lot of salmon here, so now I know who gets the scraps.

    If you don't eat a lot of salmon, you could possibly ask your fishmonger if they have skin or scraps to give away. Chances are that they do.
    Hidden Content Hokule'a ("Hoku") / b. 06.08.15

  10. #8
    Senior Dog Shelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,226
    Thanked: 1740
    I love giving my dogs the salmon skin scraps and trimmings, they really like it! One thing to remember on the West coast is not to feed Pacific salmon raw, some may contain flukes that can make your dog very ill. As long as you cook it first it will be fine.

    Salmon Poisoning Disease and Elokomin Fluke Fever in Dogs: Disorders Affecting Multiple Body Systems of Dogs: The Merck Manual for Pet Health

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

    barry581 (12-31-2015), Charlotte K. (01-18-2016)

  12. #9
    Senior Dog Charlotte K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    somewhere out there
    Posts
    938
    Thanked: 581
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
    I love giving my dogs the salmon skin scraps and trimmings, they really like it! One thing to remember on the West coast is not to feed Pacific salmon raw, some may contain flukes that can make your dog very ill. As long as you cook it first it will be fine.

    Salmon Poisoning Disease and Elokomin Fluke Fever in Dogs: Disorders Affecting Multiple Body Systems of Dogs: The Merck Manual for Pet Health
    One's store or restaurant could have salmon from the west, even in the east. I see salmon labeled Alaskan often. Thanks for the reminder to cook the salmon!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

    JC001 (01-18-2016)

  14. #10
    Senior Dog Jollymolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,109
    Thanked: 2779
    Id really like to try this.

 



Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •