Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Sonic is 7 months old! (already?)

Today, Sonic turns 7 months old! He is doing great apart from the fact that he somehow got giardia and the poor thing was vomiting his precious dinner (and sometimes his breakfast) for 6 days straight. I panicked eventually thinking he had a blockage (he is not really picky about what goes into his mouth and his always hungry tummy), and fortunately there was no blockage but results came back positive for giardia. He is doing fine now, we'll see how we'll get rid of it since I've heard it's really persistent.

Anyway, it was really nice out this morning since it snowed last night, so we took the opportunity to visit the forest and get some pictures (and enjoy the winter wonderland).

Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Jollymolly (02-14-2024), Woody (01-25-2024)

Sonic is coming along nicely!!!

I've dealt with giardia a couple times with the dogs. It's awful. It's also very scary thinking you may be dealing with an obstruction, always worrisome in a young Lab because they will eat ANYTHING! I was talking about this with a new Lab owner a couple weeks ago, and told them it's why I teach "leave it" and "drop it" as soon as they come home!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Berna (01-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Sonic is coming along nicely!!!

I've dealt with giardia a couple times with the dogs. It's awful. It's also very scary thinking you may be dealing with an obstruction, always worrisome in a young Lab because they will eat ANYTHING! I was talking about this with a new Lab owner a couple weeks ago, and told them it's why I teach "leave it" and "drop it" as soon as they come home!
    Yes, he knows these commands, however sometimes he manages to get something before I see it. Also, I found out he has eaten parts of toys so I am very careful now with choosing toys. Cookie never destroyed any toys so Sonic caught me off-guard.
    Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

barry581 (01-21-2024)

Giardia is not supposed to survive freezing temperatures but I think it has to be a prolonged freeze, not just a dip overnight. It was in the well/drinking water at a ski resort we went to and of course that water was darn cold, but not frozen. Only staff got sick. Poor little boy, imagine he felt pretty crummy. He looks good in your photos. I especially like the side view of him standing.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Berna (01-21-2024)

He is doing okay for now, no more vomiting, but I guess it's no fun if your tummy is constantly empty, especially if you are a Lab!

I thought giardia lived longer in colder temperatures? I thought it didn't like the heat. Maybe I am wrong.

Here's a short video of the two of us

Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

barry581 (01-21-2024)

Senior Dog
    Where is that little puppy going?

Great pictures. Some shot I see a dog but in others I still see the puppy. He is growing so fast.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JC001 For This Useful Post:

Berna (01-21-2024)

Beautiful photos! WOW, Sonic looks like a pre-adult Lab already! He's gorgeous!

Poor Sonic for having giardia . At least it wasn't a blockage!

We've had giardia in a few of our girls, one lasting for months and months - poor Heidi . During the summer months both Ursa and Loua (they shared) had c-diff, Loua was on antibiotics and both were given Pro-gut from their vet. It works wonders! We now always have Pro-gut in their medicine box.

Sure hope that Sonic feels better very soon!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Casey, Nellie, Dana, Kelsey, Bailey and Heidi. Forever in our hearts.
    Zoda, May 26, 1999 - February 28, 2011. Forever in our hearts.
    Opal, May 20, 2005 - April 24, 2020. Forever in our hearts.
    Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
    Love leaves a memory no one can steal.

Ursa, RN, RA, CGC, March 10, 2011. Home-grown, Raw-fed.
    Loua, July 12, 2020. Family-Ties.
    "Mother Nature already knows what Science is still trying to figure out".

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Labbies For This Useful Post:

Berna (01-22-2024)

Senior Dog
    That sweet little guy shouldn't have to suffer with something as nasty as giardia. It sounds like he's on his way to recovery, so, yaaayyyyy!

Danny had it once. Maybe it was a coincidence, but he'd stepped in fresh loose goose poop about a week before his symptoms started. (We always took a towel to the park with us to wipe off feet before getting into the car and, that one day, the towel came away from his paw full of bright green mush. I splashed some water from the fountain onto the towel, cleaned him up as well as I could before allowing him in the car, and then put the towel in the park's trash can. Ugh!) The vet said he must have paid attention to his paw on the way home (he wasn't even allowed in the house until I'd cleaned him up with a pan of soapy water/washcloth) because geese carry giardia. He was pretty good about not eating stuff he wasn't supposed to have. Anyway...Sonic could have licked his paws and ended up with it that way.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Berna (01-23-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    That sweet little guy shouldn't have to suffer with something as nasty as giardia. It sounds like he's on his way to recovery, so, yaaayyyyy!

Danny had it once. Maybe it was a coincidence, but he'd stepped in fresh loose goose poop about a week before his symptoms started. (We always took a towel to the park with us to wipe off feet before getting into the car and, that one day, the towel came away from his paw full of bright green mush. I splashed some water from the fountain onto the towel, cleaned him up as well as I could before allowing him in the car, and then put the towel in the park's trash can. Ugh!) The vet said he must have paid attention to his paw on the way home (he wasn't even allowed in the house until I'd cleaned him up with a pan of soapy water/washcloth) because geese carry giardia. He was pretty good about not eating stuff he wasn't supposed to have. Anyway...Sonic could have licked his paws and ended up with it that way.
    We don't have geese where we walk, not even in the woods (we do have ducks and swans though) but I suspect he got giardia from our local park because no one cleans after their dogs Interestingly enough, we walked Cookie in the same park but he never got giardia, not once in his 17 year long time on this Earth.
    Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

A small video from today's hike - Sonic is doing very well, he was negative for giardia (yay!), destroyed all his toys (so I have to be careful to get him the real tough ones!), but is otherwise a very happy go lucky adventurous puppy.

Enjoy!

Cookie Black Snowflake

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Black Labbies (02-11-2024), Jollymolly (02-14-2024), smartrock (02-10-2024), Snowshoe (02-11-2024), SunDance (02-10-2024)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos