Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

Socialization before 16 weeks

Hi. Have a question about a pup before one gets the complete shots at 16weeks(?). So how does one socialize between 8 to 16? I mean other than sounds from home and YouTube 😅? There seems to be much rules for safety among others - no smooching with other dogs, no dog park, no smelling here and there etc. I’m thinking of bringing him to places in a wagon. What do y’all think? Thanks a bunch!

Senior Dog
    I took Danny out in a stroller...requiring that people use sanitizer gel before petting him if they'd petted another dog (yeah...I was that anal about it). I was lucky in that he had his mama at home for that limited type of doggy socialization. We went to puppy class as soon as he had all his shots.

Puppy
    Now I feel ok going out on a stroller! Will consider sanitizer since I plan to give people treats to give to the pup.

So start of training at 16weeks is not ‘late’?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dexq For This Useful Post:

SunDance (05-31-2021)

Senior Dog
    Well....for me that's late.

I trained my own dogs. For me, training started the day I got them...gentle non-training session activity. In Danny's case, it started even before his siblings left for their new homes (name, sit, come). Danny was "fully trained" and just working on maintenance already by the time his shots were done...he went for socialization (I wanted to pay back the trainer who'd spent an hour on the phone with me, talking about issues with a previous dog, without charge). I'd hired a trainer to come to the house for our first dogs (sibling Akitas) and just built on what I learned from her as years went on. None of our other dogs had formal training. So I have limited experience/knowledge of whether or not any legitimate trainer will even work with puppies prior to their receiving all shots (especially in a group setting)...my gut tells me that they won't.

I'd recommend that you Google around or buy a basic book (like a Dummies book...that's the only one I specifically remember from the many I'd bought over the years and no longer have) and get started training at home. Your formal training will enhance/fine-tune what you've already started and give great socialization opportunity, especially if you go the class route. Ask questions here...check out the puppies/training section. Working with your pup will strengthen your bond and give him/her a sense of purpose and belonging.

Above all...enjoy this time. Training, for me, was an ongoing thing for the lifetime of my dogs....I trained for daily stuff that got reinforced as life went on even though formal sessions ceased after a while. Use an assertive but not loud/aggressive voice...let your pup know that you expect him/her to do what you're saying in a calm manner....and praise, praise, praise. Some of my pups trained with food treats, one was so focused on treats that I had to use just praise. As time went on, praise became the sole reward.

One thing you definitely want to start working on is "leave it". That can be used not just for "don't pick that up" but also for "don't chase that bunny", "don't bark at that", "don't etc.". "Leave it", "Drop it", and "Give" are basics you will never regret teaching.

Can we see who you're working with and learn his/her name?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Dexq (06-14-2021)

I am in a rural area and was able to go for outings on trails/areas others rarely used, especially in the dead of winter. We met up with a safely vaccinated neighbour dog, an older bitch who was good at teaching manners and I found a puppy friend only two weeks older to meet up with. Socialization is not just with dogs. Exposure to people, sights and sounds is also important. Learning car rides is important, and they should sometimes be boring car rides with no outing at the end, just maybe a trip to get more bread and milk and back home again. Our puppy friend's owner only put him in the car when driving to meet with us and he got so excited about the car he was a danger to her one year old son, who of course came too. A good spot for us was the ski resort parking lot and the resort let me enter the foyer. Noise, funny hats, clomping ski boots and lots of people who wanted to meet puppy, it was great. If golf courses are open near you they would be a good substitute.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

SunDance (05-31-2021)

One of the members here, MightyThor, used an old laundry basket lined with a blanket to take their younger dog places as a puppy. I think he would sit in his 'baby bed" while they ate at outdoor establishments, it could go into a shopping cart at Home Depot or places like that that allow dogs. He wasn't down on the ground walking around in pet stores or around fast food restaurants or other places that might be too germy for an unvaccinated pup. She mentioned that people loved to come to meet the puppy and they'd have little treats people could give to Barley as well.

Another perspective on the scope of socialization for young pups. She socializes but not in quite the same way a lot of people think socialization must be done: https://www.collared-scholar.com/mor...ze-my-puppies/

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SamsonsMom (06-04-2021), SunDance (05-31-2021), Whistle (05-31-2021)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    One of the members here, MightyThor, used an old laundry basket lined with a blanket to take their younger dog places as a puppy. I think he would sit in his 'baby bed" while they ate at outdoor establishments, it could go into a shopping cart at Home Depot or places like that that allow dogs. He wasn't down on the ground walking around in pet stores or around fast food restaurants or other places that might be too germy for an unvaccinated pup. She mentioned that people loved to come to meet the puppy and they'd have little treats people could give to Barley as well.

Another perspective on the scope of socialization for young pups. She socializes but not in quite the same way a lot of people think socialization must be done: https://www.collared-scholar.com/mor...ze-my-puppies/
    I definitely agree with her genetics comments....and that two-year mark for potential personality changes sure seems to prove itself regularly.

I think there's a happy medium, though, between traditional socialization and her no-socialization stance. And what works perfectly for one dog might ruin another. Genetics, again.

Good article, Sue...thanks!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

smartrock (05-31-2021)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post

How great to see such solid common sense and knowledge as represented by that collared scholar article. sometimes with all the nonsense in the dog world currently, it's possible to forget there are still folk like her out there. Just wish I met more of them and less of the other sort!! Thanks for posting it.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whistle For This Useful Post:

smartrock (05-31-2021)

I took mine every where including camping on the beach. she used to dig craters to sleep outside, swim in the water and play with every one and every dog. A reason she is a great camping buddy.
    she also went on road trips and stayed at hotels. a reason she goes on multi day road trips. Socialization is getting the dog experience and live in an environment where it is expected to live and not lose its mind. Even now she is mostly offleash and listens to commands on a crowded campground . still know the site boundaries in every campsite and stays with in it.

The only issue i faced was most places and state parks want vaccination documents and i have to tell them she is too young for it.

We got 2 puppies and doing the same. They are rescues from texas and have a few issues so everyday to the park for walks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfz For This Useful Post:

SunDance (06-01-2021)

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Well....for me that's late.

One thing you definitely want to start working on is "leave it". That can be used not just for "don't pick that up" but also for "don't chase that bunny", "don't bark at that", "don't etc.". "Leave it", "Drop it", and "Give" are basics you will never regret teaching.

Can we see who you're working with and learn his/her name?
    Thanks a bunch! Will definitely be around here..

We’re picking him up this July 5.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos