I'll answer a few of your questions based on what we've done with our pups.
- We put a collar on our pups from the start, although they grow quickly and their baby collar won't fit for long. He might not like it at first but that's OK. Take it off any time you put him in his crate. You don't want it getting caught on anything.
- I take them out on a leash, even if they're dragging it rather than me holding it. If they decide to run for it, you can step on the end of the leash (or turn and run away from the puppy calling his name in a high, happy voice. Usually they'll turn and run after you. Of course, he won't know his name at first, but whatever you say, make it sound fun!)
- I had a crate in the bedroom and one out in the area I spend the most time.
- When they first came home I had a stuffed toy in the crate with them, or you could put that towel or blanket you've rubbed on his Mom or sibs in there. It wasn't long before my older boy started chewing anything in his crate, so he got a bare crate until he was about 3 years old. My younger girl never chewed so she got a bed in her crate by the time she was 4 months old.
- Pet insurance advisable.
- I think after the second round of shots the vets will often say they can start venturing out to places you know are pretty safe but check with the vet. You do not want them walking around in places like PetSmart or Petco or even on the floor at the vet's office where sick or unvaccinated pets might have been walking. I think my vet thought I was overcareful, maybe, but who knows what other dogs or puppies might have brought in with them. Some places like Home Depot or Cabelas will let you bring puppies in, you'd need to check with them ahead of time. You could put a towel from home inside a cart and put the puppy inside the cart to greet people.
- The chew toy my puppies seemed to like best were these Nylabone chew toys for puppies shaped like keys. Pet Supplies : Pet Chew Toys : Nylabone Just For Puppies Medium Key Ring Bone Puppy Dog Teething Chew Toy : Amazon.com
- Get some Nature's Miracle or other enzyme cleaner for pet accidents to clean areas where he has accidents in the house.
- I used a crate in the car until they outgrew it. Right now I have a small-ish SUV and they ride in the way back. When I only had one I put a seat belt type restraint on him but with 2 they just get tangled up with each other.
- You don't know yet whether your puppy will be Teddy the Destroyer yet, so you could get a medium sized bed but some puppies got through several beds before they get past their chewing stage. I wouldn't get anything too expensive until you know what he'll be like.
- Any plans you make will be subject to the puppy's whims for a while. Don't stress out too much. A lot of the puppy craziness they outgrow.