Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Librela

Question Librela

Georgia who is going to be 14 soon has had mobility issues for awhile. We were giving her some medication in her food and she was getting a shot once a month. Sadly it was not working all that great. She seemed to be better when we were walking everyday (too cold right now) but she couldn't go too far.

Last week we switched her shot to Librela. Later the first night she hopped up on the couch for the first time in ages. She gets up an comes running for her food when we have been delivering it to her where she has been laying down for a long time.

She is also started climbing up the back stairs when she comes in from outside. Last week we have to carry her up the three stairs. Just now I was doing some dishes and she came flying by me in the kitchen. I didn't realize my wife let her out until I was freezing and realized the back door was wide open.

She's a new dog for now.

Any body else ever try Librela?
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

Unfortunately, when it arrived here Cookie was already unable to stand (which I suspect ihad more to do with his heart and kidneys and perhaps dementia than arthritis per se) so we didn't get to try it. But if it were available when he was younger, I'd certainly give it a shot, I've heard people have positive experience with it.

Glad to hear Georgia is doing well!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berna For This Useful Post:

Woody (01-22-2024)

Senior Dog
    I'm glad you found something that works for Georgia...hope it lasts! I'd never heard of this med before.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Woody (01-22-2024)

I've never heard of it, but it sounds likes it's working well for Georgia!!! Hope it keeps working too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Woody (01-23-2024)

Glad to read Georgia is doing well on it and nice to hear of something like that with a good report.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Woody (01-24-2024)

Before her shot she could barely get off the floor without some help. Now she's a rabbit hunter. I didn't see the rabbit when I first went outside but Ovie sure did. On a side note Ovie comes back when you call him which is fantastic. Neither Georgia or the late Cooper would come back when called.

Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

Berna (02-19-2024), SunDance (02-19-2024)

So Hemi's story with Librela.

Hemi has been getting worse and worse slowly this last year. He has been on rimadylfor over a year and it helped a great deal. I noticed in the sping he was having issues, for the first time when we got the RV out and he could no longer get on the couch in the RV. He would sit there with his head on the couch and look at me like, little help here. So I would boost him up and he would lay on the couch. He started going for less and less walks, just because he would end up limping, and our last camping trip of the year in Sept, he wanted to walk around the campground, which we did, I let him sniff everywhere. We then went to my sisters the next day where he roamed around a lot, no playing. But that evening he couldn't stand up on his own. We took it pretty easy from there on out, Walks were to end of street and back. IN October we went to Fall Dog scout outing and after day 1 he was done. He wanted to go do everything but he was still and sore. Couple days rest he was ok.

Thanksgiving, we went to my sisters, 2 hour ride in the truck. Then he hung out search for food, pets, roamed and played some. Had a great time, then we came home, 2 hour ride. He couldn't stand up to get out of the truck. I do lift him in and out of the truck, but I can't get him out of the back seat from laying in the middle. I eventually helped get him on his feet. Few days rest he was ok. Then he really started having issues. Walking was hard and difficult, then one day early December I was working, I work from home primarily now. I heard him scrambling on the tile kitchen floor. Why he decided to lay down there, I don't know but he was laying in the middle of the kitchen floor and he couldn't stand up on his own. Just couldn't get a grip. So Next day we went to the vet, can we up the meds. Different meds, etc. I was pretty distraught. The Vet told me about Librela. Asked if I wanted to try. I said sure. Vet said it would take 2 months to work as it needed to build up. Literally that evening I seen a huge change. He ran in the house from outside. He wanted to play, was more active. This continued, and even games of tug were back on. The true test was Christmas, we went to my sisters, ate food, opened presents, he roamed, played, jumped up on my sisters giant foot rest, his bed now. We went home, he got right up and out of the truck, went in and started playing with his new toys, let keep the party going dad. He did improve more after his second shot, he is now getting back up on the couch. We haven't gone for a lot of walks cause winter. However Librela has been a huge game changer in Hemi's life.

Another thing. I was beginning to see signs of what I thought was dementia. He would often come into a room, just stand there, come in from outside get in the house just stand there. Like he didn't know what to do, where to go. There would also be some roaming, pacing and panting at time. This has all gone away, it make me wonder if some of these signs I thought were dementia starting were really just him in pain not wanting to move.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

smartrock (02-19-2024), SunDance (02-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Another thing. I was beginning to see signs of what I thought was dementia. He would often come into a room, just stand there, come in from outside get in the house just stand there. Like he didn't know what to do, where to go. There would also be some roaming, pacing and panting at time. This has all gone away, it make me wonder if some of these signs I thought were dementia starting were really just him in pain not wanting to move.
    We had the same experience. I thought she was losing it as well. Same with the just standing there with a blank stare. That has gone away as well. Glad it worked for you as well.
    Thanks Everyone!!

Hidden Content

I was looking up something else and this article on some negatives associated with Librela popped up. Things to watch out for.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...in-the-making/
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Jeff (Yesterday), SunDance (02-20-2024)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    I was looking up something else and this article on some negatives associated with Librela popped up. Things to watch out for.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...in-the-making/
    Yikes. One thing stood out for me...panting/thirst (i.e., overheating) is mentioned as side effects for many dogs. That's what probably leads to the potential for seizures. (We've had two seizure dogs, both yellows, and overheating was seemingly/diagnosed as the cause in both cases.)

Hoping Hemi and Georgia continue to do well on this!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos