Puppy

Will 16 month old pup outgrow being hard on doves? First hunting season.

I've owned and hunted Labs for over 40 years. I got this pup at 5 months in January of this year. American Lab build from field trial stock. Very good pedigree but untrained. The only things I was sure of about him was he loved to retrieve training dummies and wasn't gun shy. Since then I've worked with him about every day. He likes to work and now has all the basic commands down cold.

IME Labs aren't always as enthusiastic about retrieving doves as other upland birds. They'll do it ok but the feathers coming off in their mouth bothers some of them. So far this one will retrieve them but he's rough on the pick up and spits them out a time or two on the way back. I've never had to have one force fetch trained and don't want to. This one's more a family member than a hard core hunting dog and has only been out twice. Based on other Labs I've owned I'm thinking he'll get used to it and get better. If he keeps this up is there any cure for it that doesn't involve the pain that force fetching with a professional trainer involves?

Welcome to the board.

Force fetching does not have to be a painful negative experience for the dog. I used Evan Grahams Smartfetch video's when I force fetched my dog Brooks, he was the first dog I've ever done force fetch with. I can't say Brooks thoroughly enjoyed the process, but it was not painful, there was no blood. I learned a lot from that experience, and I will do a few things differently with the next pup.

There was a member on this board, IRISHWHISLTER, who sadly passed away a few weeks ago that I also learned a lot about force fetch from. If you do a search under his name and the words force fetch there may still be some of the videos he posted showing his force fetch method. I had the opportunity to go to Connecticut last summer and do some training with him, and was able to watch him working with two dogs in force fetch training, and I really learned a great deal those four days.

What is your dogs name? Does he have a solid "hold" on other items/birds????

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    Welcome to the board.

Force fetching does not have to be a painful negative experience for the dog. I used Evan Grahams Smartfetch video's when I force fetched my dog Brooks, he was the first dog I've ever done force fetch with. I can't say Brooks thoroughly enjoyed the process, but it was not painful, there was no blood. I learned a lot from that experience, and I will do a few things differently with the next pup.

There was a member on this board, IRISHWHISLTER, who sadly passed away a few weeks ago that I also learned a lot about force fetch from. If you do a search under his name and the words force fetch there may still be some of the videos he posted showing his force fetch method. I had the opportunity to go to Connecticut last summer and do some training with him, and was able to watch him working with two dogs in force fetch training, and I really learned a great deal those four days.

What is your dogs name? Does he have a solid "hold" on other items/birds????

Thanks for the info. I'll check both sources out. Earl's actually the dogs name. So far he's only been out twice, both times for late season doves. I hope to get him out a couple more times before the season ends the 28th.

Even if you decide to not force fetch Earl you should still teach a good, solid HOLD. If you search youtube for videos you can find some good info.

Bill Hillman https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...l+hillman+hold

Another good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUxDB6bWblE

There is also a lady who does obedience training videos, but I can't remember her name, maybe some of the Obedience people here could chime in.

There is also a lady who does obedience training videos, but I can't remember her name, maybe some of the Obedience people here could chime in.
    Kelly somebody? I recall her videos but can't remember her youtube site

eta: this is the one I remember but I don't know if that's who Barry is referring to. panzertoo on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSL...BNUJIiwRhi-5cw
    Last edited by smartrock; 12-13-2020 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smartrock View Post
    Kelly somebody? I recall her videos but can't remember her youtube site

eta: this is the one I remember but I don't know if that's who Barry is referring to. panzertoo on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSL...BNUJIiwRhi-5cw
    No, different lady. The one I'm thinking of has Goldens and Labs. Can't remember her name to save myself.

Senior Dog
    No, different lady. The one I'm thinking of has Goldens and Labs. Can't remember her name to save myself.
    Jackie Mertens?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    Jackie Mertens?
    I figured it out, it was Janice Gunn, but I looked and most of her stuff is on DVD now so you have to pay for it.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos